2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

loss of traction in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014 | 12:30 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by bulldodgemoe
answer you are looking for is in the sig pic description. its ok i would have missed that to.
yes 4X4 she is.
as for tires, i was wondering if there just isnt enough rubber on the road to gain grib.
i also ask all this as for when my wife gets here this will be her DD. i want to be as safe as possible for her. so when i now have the time and money to do this i am taking advantage of it
I'm not a tire salesman but myself, and it appears redneck ram as well, recommend Duratracs. I'm on my first set but once these are worn out, I'm 100% convinced I will buy these again. They just grib soooo good on the ice and even water. Personally I needed a multi-purpose tire. I didn't want to buy two sets of tires because that gets expensive. I needed a tire that digs like a mud tire in the summer and a winter tire that is good in ice and snow. These tires have exceeded my expectations in every way. I'm not sure about studding laws in the states but up here you can stud winter tires and these are studable.

Just don't get stuck, because they DIG.

Old 01-28-2014 | 12:38 AM
Dieselweasle
Professional

Now, I'm not one to tell anyone to go to walmart or anything, but check out the Goodyear Wrangler Authority.

I had a set on my 2wd '95 F-150 and I live in Northern BC, Canada and they performed very well, for being on a 2wd truck. Now that I have 4x4 in my Dodge, I bought a set and absolutely love them! They're A/T's and are rated for winter, up here.

Old 01-28-2014 | 01:07 AM
bulldodgemoe
|
Professional

by the way this is what i have

Attached Thumbnails loss of traction in snow-18273.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014 | 01:48 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Ya I agree with the others, you would get much better traction with better winter rated tires. In snow though its pretty hard not to spin the tires, just gotta get used to whats gonna happen. 4 wheel drive will help accelerate but dont let that fool you into thinking you can brake quicker. I personally dont have any weight in the box of my truck.

Old 01-28-2014 | 01:59 AM
bulldodgemoe
|
Professional

been eye balling the firestone winterforce UV tires. been very good reviews in the snow.

Old 01-28-2014 | 02:28 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Those look like they would work very well in the snow, good winter tire. Have to take them off in the summer though or they'll burn up pretty quick.

Old 01-28-2014 | 05:15 AM
Silconcer
Amateur

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler SR-As from a 4th gen. They get me around in the snow just fine with no weight in the bed and I'm 2wd with an open diff. But when the roads get snowy/icy I just take my time.

Old 01-28-2014 | 11:46 AM
chromed95
Captain

Simple and cheapest solution? Put more weight back there. AT tires will get the job done if you are weighted down some in the rear. They won't grip as much as a snow tire but don't drive like you've never driven in snow before and you'll be fine. I have Toyo open country AT and they do fine. During a good winter I'll put 420 lbs of sand tubes in the bed and I do even better. Where I'm at we are lacking snow big time this year. It sucks.

Old 01-28-2014 | 11:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Want some of mine? We seem to have plenty.....

Old 01-28-2014 | 12:01 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bulldodgemoe
been eye balling the firestone winterforce UV tires. been very good reviews in the snow.
They're garbage. I had them. Took them off after 6 weeks. Didn't want to go, then didn't want to stop. In 2wd on dry pavement they'd spin like crazy. Put my 3/4 bald Terra Grapplers back on and had better traction.But then this is just my experience and opinion, so take it as you like.

Quick Reply: loss of traction in snow