2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quit your ASSuming stuff and root out their conundrum.

Honestly I don't know. Only have an ORE and only look to answer specifics for an ORE.

I vaguely recall someone (maybe zman) saying that the control arms were longer or are 2500 arms. I've never had a need to confirm and deny. From my recent arm builds I randomly for the heck of it measured the upper arm on bolt length to be 17". Tossed the lower long time ago so I don't know.

Visually the pitman arm was different in girth....lol no clue about length or drop as again no reason to go compare to non-ORE.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

That seems perfectly reasonable.......

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Part numbers tell all, same part number for the ORE as in the reg 1500 trucks regarding control arms.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Control arms are the same length between the 1500s and 2500s.

I measured them

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Control arms are the same length between the 1500s and 2500s.

I measured them
And the lengths are...?

I was wrong for the one I had, it is 17.25"
Glad someone has access to measure these things in their own hands.

Curious though as to why the part numbers are different between the 1500 (Lt duty 4wd) and others (med. duty 4wd and HD duty 4wd)?

Since the coil springs are different between a ORE and standard 1500, has anyone been able to determine/decode the part number? I recall there was a spring discussion that maybe it was Jimythefan trying to figure part numbers and springs?

In any case, adding a 2" level to the ORE springs is not detrimental by any means in the context that the other components are in "sound" condition and an alignment is done. The 3" height is just a general trend b/c lift companies made that a "standard". That's my from the exact experience of my ORE rig is all.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 AM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply guys. Basically the goal with either one is to change the way my truck sits. The truck is still rear end high since it's stock suspension (aside from shocks) so I want to get it sitting level. My tires do rub just a tiny bit on my upper control arm but only at full lock and I'm pretty sure that's just because my rims have essentially 0 back spacing. Either way I go I'm pretty sure it'll fix it because the lift kit I'm looking at has new control arms that are rounded rather than lipped like the stock arms, and if I go leveling kit it would mean rims too (in a few months) which would also get rid of the rub. Rub really isn't an issue though, I went off roading a few weeks ago and had no problems, I just want to change the stance. Basically since the 3 inch lift only adds one it would just be replacing the control arms and maybe the Pitman arm if I'm remembering right and leveling it. I just need to know if I should spend the extra money to have that replaced to make it level.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Welcome back and as you can see, you'll get a myriad of responses in terms of effort, cost, performance, looks, etc. This becomes even more subjective given that your goal is "stance".

You have options though, which is good. Meaning you are not backed into a corner, especially an expensive corner like cracked heads...

So I'll just speak to your current situation as we don't know what the possibility is down the road. I only bring that up because often times people will address a need now, only to then not long later realize they should have done something else resulting in "paying 2x/doing it >2x etc."

It's up to you on how comfortable you are with rubbing tires. The stock control arms have those lips that could cut when going in reverse.

With your 3" BL already on there, you can add the 2" level but get an alignment. It's debatable that you're at 4" lift (2" ORE + 2" level), but you'll be > 3" for sure. This will impact track bar, this will impact steering, and the stock shocks.

Going to a 3" kit will resolve most of those things. It comes down to the quality of the kit you pick. Alot of people here can provide some insight on those as I did custom. With any kit though, your springs are completely replaced. No more ORE coil springs.

With either of these options and you say you're going offroad (what kind? dirt roads/rocks?), the 2 things I would highly recommend changing is adjustable track bar and wheels that have at least 4.5" backspacing. Stock wheels are 5.5". I mentioned before that in my profile (click username) find my photo albums and you'll see some pictures showing clearances for 33" and 35" tire, with and w/o 3" bl, then adding 2.5" level. Wheels are 4.5" BS.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ThaBigYoss
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply guys. Basically the goal with either one is to change the way my truck sits. The truck is still rear end high since it's stock suspension (aside from shocks) so I want to get it sitting level. My tires do rub just a tiny bit on my upper control arm but only at full lock and I'm pretty sure that's just because my rims have essentially 0 back spacing. Either way I go I'm pretty sure it'll fix it because the lift kit I'm looking at has new control arms that are rounded rather than lipped like the stock arms, and if I go leveling kit it would mean rims too (in a few months) which would also get rid of the rub. Rub really isn't an issue though, I went off roading a few weeks ago and had no problems, I just want to change the stance. Basically since the 3 inch lift only adds one it would just be replacing the control arms and maybe the Pitman arm if I'm remembering right and leveling it. I just need to know if I should spend the extra money to have that replaced to make it level.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like the body lift? Might be something I want to do in the future.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
How do you like the body lift? Might be something I want to do in the future.
I personally like mine. Haven't had a single issue and it rides like it did with just the suspension lift. You cant really tell it has a body lift unless I told the person. I love the extra room between the cab and frame when I have to work on the truck.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

Mine was put on by the owner before me and I definitely like it, but if I had to do it again I'd probably do a 2 inch one instead of 3. With mine being ORE you can really see the skid plates and to me I can notice it fairly easy. It's one of those things where I notice it because it's my truck. Probably wouldn't notice if it was someone else's. Ride is great though, no performance issues. I feel like body lists have a somewhat bad reputation. They're no substitute for a suspension lift, but if you're not a serious off roader they're okay.

Quick Reply: Lifts