2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

has any one here supercharged or turbocharged there 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
I twin turbo'ed my 5.9L

ooooh you meant gas guzzler!

in all seriousness: you're looking at a lot of money to turbo your ride.

buying a turbo by itself will be a good $1200, then add custom exhaust manifolds or y-piping, + plumbing to hook it up... that's at least another $1500 or more...

and that's not even touching on the subject of gauges and custom tuning that you will need, as well as supporting mods like head studs, injectors....

to keep your motor together you will want it to have a gate set to open at 5psi tops...

you're going to need a A/F ratio gauge, boost gauge, EGT gauge, and probably want a fuel pressure gauge as well to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up with the new fuel demand. definitely don't want to run lean under boost or your engine is going to melt down.

that also brings something else to mind...if you don't already have a vacuum pump, you will need one. once you go forced induction you will no longer have reliable engine vacuum. so cruise control, vent control, 4x4 front axle control all goes out the window when you are under boost.
7-8 PSI is pretty safe with the stock engine, replace the headgaskets and use some ARP bolts and well north of 10lbs is fine.

Needing a vacuum pump is nonsense. You don't need most of those things under boost and for those that do, that's what checkvalves are for. If you've never driven a turbo gas vehicle before, the boost behavior is quite different from a diesel because of the throttle plate.

You can go quite a bit cheaper on the turbo if you know what to look for, used T70s sell for $500 all day long and new aren't much more. Total to do it right will run $2500+ though.

EGT and fuel pressure aren't necessary, a wideband is far more useful and basically a requirement.

But it doesn't matter anyways, 99% of these posts never materialize into anything

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 02-26-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Johnny5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mean i figured that it would be a lot of money and work, but i wouldn't mind doing a turbo set up for my truck (if i ever have the time and money for it) but i am not a big fan of superchargers but, the old kits that i can find are supercharger kits and the one that i found from procharger was like 8K which is stupid expensive and i have thought about doing the v10 swap but i think that a turbocharged 5.9l in my ram just sounds meaner and more fun! LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kicked around the idea of throwing a china turbo on my truck at around 5 psi to get it to pull a bit better but decided I was an idiot to sell my bolt on whipple kit that I had for and will just keep my eyes out for another one

Quick Reply: has any one here supercharged or turbocharged there 5.9