2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

has any one here supercharged or turbocharged there 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Johnny5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has any one here supercharged or turbocharged there 5.9

i know pro charger makes a super charger for the 5.9L which would be nice but they are 8k and i would much rather have a turbo, so has anyone supercharged or turbocharged their 5.9?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Will move you to the correct section.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

hahns5.2 turboed his dak.

There are kits out there that are cheaper, but, they are still north of 3 grand......

Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I twin turbo'ed my 5.9L

ooooh you meant gas guzzler!

in all seriousness: you're looking at a lot of money to turbo your ride.

buying a turbo by itself will be a good $1200, then add custom exhaust manifolds or y-piping, + plumbing to hook it up... that's at least another $1500 or more...

and that's not even touching on the subject of gauges and custom tuning that you will need, as well as supporting mods like head studs, injectors....

to keep your motor together you will want it to have a gate set to open at 5psi tops...

you're going to need a A/F ratio gauge, boost gauge, EGT gauge, and probably want a fuel pressure gauge as well to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up with the new fuel demand. definitely don't want to run lean under boost or your engine is going to melt down.

that also brings something else to mind...if you don't already have a vacuum pump, you will need one. once you go forced induction you will no longer have reliable engine vacuum. so cruise control, vent control, 4x4 front axle control all goes out the window when you are under boost.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Supercharger looks better and better....

Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget forced induction keep it naturally aspirated and stroke it!

There's no replacement for displacement

Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Forget forced induction keep it naturally aspirated and stroke it!

There's no replacement for displacement
Haha I've told that one to people too.

Stroking would be easier, and cheaper, than forced induction.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just swap in a 488 v10 than to supercharge or stroke a 360? Wouldn't the results be similar? I guess you would have to change the transmission as well but $3000 + is a lot IMO.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

If you want a Supercharger you need to keep your eye open for a Kenny Bell SC as they are the best setup for our engines.

Over on Dodge Talk there is a guy who turbo'd his engine but is running a real low boost on it right now. Unless you're going to rebuild the engine and build it for forced induction I would stick to an N/A engine.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
That Supercharger looks better and better....

supercharger will be less parts involved, less lag, but you will still deal with the vacuum issue from being forced induction vs normally aspirated. forced induction eliminates engine vacuum and adds positive pressure to the intake instead making there still be a need for a vacuum pump. would also still need a/f ratio gauge, boost gauge, and fuel pressure gauge to keep those items in check.

won't need EGT guage or custom exhaust though.

as cool as superchargers are, I would personally rather have a turbo in a gasoline application...

you don't have the parasitic power loss with a turbo, and a turbo is load based boost. so when you are taking it easy on the throttle, the engine isn't under boost and doesn't need to inject as much fuel to prevent running lean, but when you load up the engine and the engine needs that extra power, the boost ramps up and makes the power when it is needed.

much more efficient system.

almost forgot: you don't have that constant annoying whine/howl with a turbo either like a supercharger has.

now for a diesel application: I would LOVE to add a supercharger to my existing setup! eliminate the lag completely, boost at idle! and as turbo boost comes in, the load comes off the supercharger making it have almost no parasitic loss at that point. it will use less fuel all together because a diesel does not have to prevent running lean. running lean in a diesel is actually safer for the engine than running too rich.

Last edited by Jigabop; 02-26-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: has any one here supercharged or turbocharged there 5.9