2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What you guys think? Deal or no Deal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM
RonRacer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What you guys think? Deal or no Deal...

So my ram stopped working a few months ago. So I've been in the market. Then I find this little number at a car auction lot.

I go in and check it out. It's pretty clean. 5.2 5spd. But upon further review I noticed that the front drive shaft is gone. I ask the owner about it. And he says that he knew it was missing he has the truck moreso as a show piece to get peoples attention so he doesn't have too much info on it. But since it's on the lot it's technically for sale and says he will take $5000 for it.
What do you guys think? Deal or no deal?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on it?

It looks pretty clean, I don't think that's a bad price as long as it runs well. Missing that front driveshaft sorta bugs me though... Did someone just not finish the lift properly? Or did it fail? Or what? I'd bug that one out personally. Check the yokes on the axle and transfercase for any evidence of damage.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
How many miles are on it?

It looks pretty clean, I don't think that's a bad price as long as it runs well. Missing that front driveshaft sorta bugs me though... Did someone just not finish the lift properly? Or did it fail? Or what? I'd bug that one out personally. Check the yokes on the axle and transfercase for any evidence of damage.
the Odo says 207xxx but he's claiming the engines been replaced. The missing drive shaft is bugging me too... From the outside it looks as of they just didn't finish the lift or was satisfied with a lifted 2wd... Is there anyway to know without opening up the front axle?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RonRacer
the Odo says 207xxx but he's claiming the engines been replaced. The missing drive shaft is bugging me too... From the outside it looks as of they just didn't finish the lift or was satisfied with a lifted 2wd... Is there anyway to know without opening up the front axle?
By bolting in a driveshaft. Might be able to find one at a junkyard. Pretty sure you would need one from a 1500 with a 5 speed and not auto. Could be wrong though.

I wouldn't buy it without paper work for the engine replacement...

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson

Agreed.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Could be that the rear diff ratio was changed for the bigger tires, and not the front (to save $$), and they pulled the front driveshaft to avoid a "bang" if someone engages 4x4.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

By bolting in a driveshaft. Might be able to find one at a junkyard. Pretty sure you would need one from a 1500 with a 5 speed and not auto. Could be wrong though.

If he didn't have a lift it would have to be from a manual. With the lift IDK if the manual would be long enough. The auto shafts are longer than the manuals, you'd really just have to measure it to find out what size it'd need.

But I'd really dig to the bottom of it and find out why the front shaft isn't on.

There is nothing wrong with running the truck without the front shaft, it won't hurt it, but without knowing why they took it off it's hard to tell why it's off.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people believe removing the front drive shaft will improve fuel economy.....

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
Some people believe removing the front drive shaft will improve fuel economy.....
With the CAD front axle it doesn't do anything, maybe good for 1hp

Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 AM
RonRacer
Professional

Not sure if the dealer would let me put a drive shaft in.... Not sure if I could even put one in...

Quick Reply: What you guys think? Deal or no Deal...