2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM
SomeFosterKid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end problems

Hey guys new to the forums and I've got a few questions.
I just bought a 96 Ram 1500 4x4 and the front end has got some problems. Its got a 3" suspension lift. The problem is while driving it seems like the front wheels start to wobble. I believe this is called the "death wobble"?
So what I've read so far is that if you lift a truck and only change out the absolutely necessary components you'll get problems such as these.
The truck also leans to the left and the front end needs to be aligned
What I have been told so far is that the "kingpin" is shot and I should just get a new front axle.
Any advice on what to do here?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

No kingpins on your truck. Balljoints, which are replaceable. (in your driveway no less.)

Death Wobble is the result of bad steering parts. Most notably, the track bar. (goes from frame on drivers side, to axle on passenger side. The ball-joint on the frame side goes bad.

Jack up the front, and inspect ALL the steering/suspension parts. Replace the bad stuff, get an alignment. See if that helps.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Front end problems