2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
View Poll Results: Flippin the mirrors!
Tow mirrors flipped out/down by default
10.00%
Tow mirrors in/up by default
70.00%
Tow mirrors flipped out/down when towing
60.00%
Tow mirrors flipped out/down when not towing
10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Flippin' out at flipped out tow mirrors? Tow mirrors re-visited

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flippin' out at flipped out tow mirrors? Tow mirrors re-visited

So this has been discussed time and again... BUT...

Q1: Why do people flip out when they see tow mirrors flipped up/out with no trailer?

Q2: Why don't people flip out when they see tow mirrors flipped in/down with a trailer attached? (or do they)?

Q3: Do you have tow mirrors? If so, flipped in/out by default?

Q4: Do you think that there should be a law stating that trailers longer than 16 feet should have tow mirrors/mirror extensions on the towing vehicle?

Q5: Last one. Do you think that tow mirrors are mostly useful for looks or are they useful in reality beyond looks?

And finally... A most important quote on the subject:

Tow mirrors extended with no trailer is like wearing a condom with no woman.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tow mirrors on my truck and I leave them flipped out. I think they are damn useful and it should be law. Personally, I love the look of them. I know a lot of guys don't and hate that but its just a preference. Now that I am older, if I were to do it over again, I probably wouldn't have bought them.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

See sig.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 PM
dman12323
Veteran

1.Because there ignorant... enough said...

2.Because there hauling a trailer, not sure I answered this question right to drunk to think about it.

3.I dont have tow mirrors I have elephant mirrors but want some tow mirrors for my 1500, Believe me ill have them flipped up everywhere I go. ~To the store ~To the park ~On the street corners and off the street corners and I wont even care if the soccer moms and dads have to do the limbo to get into there car because of my wide mirrors.

4. I dont think there should be a law stated. I think it should be up to the driver personally. If the driver can use the stock elephant mirrors to haul his 30 foot toy hauler than props to him!

5.Both for this answer, They fit real good with lifted trucks and they also work really well from what I hear. Stock 1500 dodges with tow mirrors that are low to the ground just cant pull off the look unless there towing a trailer.

~In regards to your quote:
I have nothing....

Now the real question is, How many people end up replacing broken tow mirrors cause people cant park?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Q1: Cuz people are ignorant and think they know all.

Q2: If you dont need em, i aint gonna tell you otherwise. But i agree it seems a little stupid if ya got em..

Q3: I have tow mirrors and i go back and forth on this issue.. depends on my mood! (but normally flipped in)

Q4: nope, if you can tow it without it, then props to ya (im also from the live free or die state by the way)

Q5: Tow mirrors are definitely helpful! They look nice as well, but id much prefer towing with them than without em! Just makes everything a little easier!

Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think tow mirrors looked great when not flipped out for just daily driving.

Flip them up when you're towing that's great.

Otherwise you just kind of look like a tool IMO

Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
So this has been discussed time and again... BUT...

Q1: Why do people flip out when they see tow mirrors flipped up/out with no trailer?

Usually they're tools. Sometimes they just finished towing and havent had time to flip em down though.

Q2: Why don't people flip out when they see tow mirrors flipped in/down with a trailer attached? (or do they)?

If its not necasarry whats the point? Manual tow mirrors are a royal PITA to adjust.

Q3: Do you have tow mirrors? If so, flipped in/out by default?

I did, but I removed them for regular power heated mirrors since I have no need to tow anything with this truck.

Q4: Do you think that there should be a law stating that trailers longer than 16 feet should have tow mirrors/mirror extensions on the towing vehicle?

Probably yes, for safety of all on the road. Kind of an open question, could go either way.

Q5: Last one. Do you think that tow mirrors are mostly useful for looks or are they useful in reality beyond looks?

They are called tow mirrors for a reason. Theyre for towing trailers, not for looks.

And finally... A most important quote on the subject:
A very true quote.

Answers in red.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wells I don't have tow mirrors and I have towed loads that would have justified having them.

I think that on a lifted truck it looks ok, would I run them? Hard to say.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I didn't have tow mirrors on my 2500 and bought them and installed em because I needed them. I had a camper and without extensions (Which SUCK) or tow mirrors you can't see on your passenger side. I tried the extensions first when I bought my camper but they sucked hind tit. I got the pull out style mirror from JC Whitney and those things are awesome.

On my 3500 I have the flipout mirrors and only use them when needed. If I got my Jeep or SXS on my trailer I don't need them but if towing a trailer with tall sides then I'll flip my mirrors out.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Really? smh

Quick Reply: Flippin' out at flipped out tow mirrors? Tow mirrors re-visited