2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for advice on Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:54 PM
PAwrestling#1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I get the harness at? Is this complete harness or just a small harness at the light to plug into my existing.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

Got any P/N's for these Sport conversions?

Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

When I look up for sport lights on ebay it says doesn't fit my vehicle. Is this the housings themselves or the harness not fitting?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

97 sports had the same headlight housings as the non-sports. (single bulb) In order to install the two-bulb housings, gotta do some clearancing behind the housing on the fender. Folks have done it, but, I am not sure what all it actually entails.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

My 98 Sport also had the single (dual element) bulb... 98½ is when the Sport got the two bulb setup, I think.

I got these for a 98 (does not fit sport), and they fit... the rubber boot on the outer bulb has to flex a bit, but there is no hard contact that needs additional clearance.
I did notice a bit more body clearance at the curve of the lens... I don't know if this is a slight difference in the mounting pin location, or just QC on this particular part.

These do have adjusters, and I'm happy with the light/pattern with the included bulbs.
I have HID's to install at some point, but that's another story.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 PM
edspring1

I can mention with hands on experience and not only with Dodge Rams. The aftermarket Halo stuff is almost if not 100% impossible to properly align the beams, as well as the capacitors are junk. Some of the others that offer more candle power threw the bulbs will end up melting the housings, or the reflector area will have a short term life span. Most of these aftermarket lights are garbage for one reason or the other. Cheap, thin, poorly molded plastics, to just down right won't fit. Its almost odd to get a pair that both are air tight.
One dead give away are the ones that do NOT have the orange parking light lenses. Even the best orange bulbs turn to crap after a few months. All I could suggest is pick out the one that suits you best, but know it going in none of them are without problems. Just some are more severe than others. Halos are the worse thou ! I did install a set of high dollar ones in a Audi about 3 months ago. I can tell they were quality but I didn't know they cost the customer $800 until the customer told me after I had installed them. Nice lights, perfect fit, easy alignment, Hi candle power, went in & adjusted like OEM, BUT $800 ? Not for me........lol

Old 10-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Use orange LED bulbs... no color deterioration issues.
Choosing the biggest brightest bulbs would be a melting issue for any plastic housing, including factory... choosing sensible bulbs will be lessen this concern, and it will only be the worst of the crap that fails.
Yup, aftermarket is not what factory is... but with thoughtful selection, it can do the job.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

Im not really looking for increased brightness as much as just a good looking smoked or black housing with ease of install. No splicing of wires just a plug in and go type light. Something I can install a descent bulb if I feel the need.

Thanks everyone

Old 10-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

The ones I used are plug & play.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have similar to Spillage but SpecDTuning. Absolute junk I thought. Couldn't align em worth a **** using the adjusters (I spaced the mounts with washers) and like his the gap was weird around the edge. I attribute that to them being pretty cheap and 1 piece. 2 piece fit much better in these trucks.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on Lighting