2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

cure the itch

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cure the itch

ive got some money to spend and what better than to spoil my pride and joy. im going to run off a few upgrades/modifications and ill hear some opinions.

its coming close to tune up time, summit racing has a kit made by davis unified ignitions. has a very HOT coil at 45000 volts, 10mm wires, cap and rotor. i know these magnum motors are picky about ignitions. in the kit description is also mentions that you can open the plug gap to .065 thoughts?
here is the link http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dui-dgetkkt-rd

finialy going to get some headers, still unsure what to go with there but ive all but ruled out long tubes.

front brakes are going to be done soon, rear drums rebuilt 1500 miles ago.

my upper trans cooler line is still leaking. its a slow leak but the last thing i want to do is ruin what seems to be a strong trans. ive read some things about direct replacements and im looking to delete that check valve so if anyone can post the fitting sizes and or part numbers here id really appreciate it. yes i know there is a 6 year old topic on this already, napa doesnt carry those part numbers anymore.

heres something to mention as well, on a cold start up this noise can be heard, also when its warm and i pull up next to a wall or in a drive through, i give it gas and i hear....i cant describe...its not a rattle, its not a grind or tap. it just sounds like a rotational sound...but not a normal sound. probably doesnt help you out at all but who knows...ideas?

electric fans!! water pump job...it hit me!! that shroud is HUGE!!

all this leads up to eventually rebuilding the top end. new heads, cam, tuner, throttle body. anyone buy any of the top end power packages from hughesengines?

thinking about getting a borgeson steering box as well. id love to hear from the guys that have that installed.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't tell ya on ignition parts as I haven't and don't know anybody that's used em.

Headers I'd go with Gibson or JBA stainless steel shorties or if you want to keep em looking good get their ceramic coated. Just don't get Pacesetter/Summit brand. Crap quality and the cheap black paint ones will rust out in a year or two.

Tranny line: delete check valve by either using a disconnect tool to tear it apart, using a punch to knock it out, and reassembling the line or cut the metal line, double flare the ends, and use hose clamps with hydraulic hose.

Rotational sound could be a lot. Any one of your pulleys, fan, flywheel, or worse, the crank.

Electric fans are good. Less engine load and better low-mid response.

I don't trust HughesEngines. Complete garbage IMO. His throttle body's have been proven to not be 52mm like he claims, in fact the bottom side necks down to stock 49mm. The AirGap should be renamed AirCrap. After all that I won't buy heads or anything from there. His SCTs are also HemiFever tuned and Sean burns up PCMs and runs trucks pig rich. I would go to airram.com to get sct tuning from Ryan, find an M1 2bbl efi intake used on Ebay or craigslist or find 4bbl and have a machine shop put the injector bungs in and get the Mopar TB adapter, Odessa EQ Monster Magnum heads on ebay, and BBK or Holley throttle body.

Redhead box is easier to install than Borgeson and IIRC better as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:24 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Absolutely does! First up is the Trans cooler line. What makes the redhead gear box any easier to install? Price difference?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonBuc'em
Absolutely does! First up is the Trans cooler line. What makes the redhead gear box any easier to install? Price difference?
Not easier to install, that will be the same as any other box. Its just a better box. Most of the 'rebuild' units you get from the parts store, will be as bad, or worse, than the box you are replacing. They get new bearings and seals, and thats it. If the internal parts are worn, you still have sloppy steering. (and keep in mind, as it is a rebuild, it was replaced for a reason....) Redhead, and Borgeson boxes are far superior, with ALL worn parts replaced during the course of the rebuild.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:53 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sir. Borgeson is better than Redhead.

Redhead is reman'd saginaw box. Borgeson is a new modified delphi box.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i see spohn performance has a borgeson with a steering shaft combo. is it necessary to replace the shaft as well?

aahhhh i see now:

Steering Shaft Fitment: For an easy 100% bolt in installation a Borgeson steering shaft assembly is highly recommended for installation of this steering box. Pick your vehicle year in the option box above to add the appropriate Borgeson steering shaft assembly to your order.

To use this steering box with your truck's OEM steering shaft (a female, D-shaped spline design), the Borgeson steering box's input shaft (male, O-shaped) will have to be cut down with a grinding wheel.
- See more at: http://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999-....vwLA8A8v.dpuf

Last edited by BrandonBuc'em; 10-26-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Quick Reply: cure the itch