2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Factory tire size - speedo reading?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Factory tire size - speedo reading?

I changed out the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires that came on my truck not too long after I got it (9 months)... I didn't pay much attention to what size it came with, I just knew what I wanted to put on (BFG 265/75R16).

Many years later (when GPS nav devices had speed readings) I noticed a 5mph speed discrepancy at 70mpg (~3pmh at 60mph)... I put this down to tire size (what I put on must be bigger than what it came with).

However, when I recently looked at my build-sheet, my truck came with TXWP P265/75R16.

If it came with 265/75R16, shouldn't the PCM have had the count/rev correctly set for the speedo at the factory?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

You would think so....... Of course, a bit of speedometer error isn't unheard of..... On your 98, assuming you have the digital odometer..... you can reflash the PCM for 'pinion ratio', or some such, to correct your speedometer error. Would be interesting to know what the current value is, and then figure out what it SHOULD be.