2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Don't buy Cooper Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Don't buy Cooper Tires

Disclaimer: I am having a bad day and this just put the cherry on it.

I recently purchased new BFG TA KO2s to replace my Cooper ATPs as a last resort to solving my bad vibrations after countless repairs to other components. The new tires finally solved the vibes and buzzing so after learning the cause of all my sleepless nights for 3 years was the tires, I left a detailed review on Coopers site regarding my experience.

My review was cogent, sincere, and professional. It detailed the 3 years ownership and 50k miles I put on them including my issues of cupping and vibrations that Discount Tire blamed on my truck. I even included good stuff like the looks, long life, and grip. My conclusion after owning two sets of their tires (plus my parent's Tahoe exhibiting the same flaws with Cooper ATPs) was that I could not recommend them. Guess what?

They decided my review was not "in guidelines" for them to submit to the site. Guess they only want flowery bullsh1t reviews where they are put only in the best light. Well Cooper, the world needs to know if a product is good or bad and where to spend their hard earned money. If you don't want bad reviews, stop making bad tires. I used to be a fan of Cooper being they are USA made and very attractive tires. Now I'm just pissed. What a douche move to pull Cooper. Never did I disparage them or escalate my comments. It was factual and informative. Now people can read about how you treated me on the world wide web after all. Google finds reviews on forums much faster than on your fascist website. Not only will I never recommend them to anyone, I will go out of my way to tell people to avoid Cooper like the plague.

I would love to leave a review on Discount Tire's site but there's no place to do so. Take what you want from this rant. I know some people love reading about train wrecks. Well, the ATPs are junk and the world should know. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I'm loving my BFGs

Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BFGs are the best tire. Gaurnteed.

Now I have seen many people come in with problems with the ATPs recently. Personally I hate them. They are knobby and gross. Have too many issues. You can have a good set and a bad set. They are a 50/50. The HTPs (highway) I have never seen any comebacks.

I see that Discount said it was your truck, and I'm sorry for you to have that experiance. You wouldn't believe some of the people we get in though. Some of the loopiest insane people, that come in and ask why their having traction problems when their tires are showing cords, and get mad when we tell them they need 4 new. We all just get a little tired of those people I guess.

My coworkers have bfgs on their trucks and love them, as I will be upgrading to them in the future once money provides. . All in all, I believe it is more coopers fault cause their tires are basic crap.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, they aren't "guaranteed" by BFG but if you are willing to back them up, I'm all ears.

No warranty at all on BFG but I've never cared much about that. I get sick of tires after a couple years then I have to wait another couple years until they're worn out. And if they get a nail, that's always free repair.

Actually the reviews on the new KO2s are not great. Much worse than KOs. Discount told me reviews are made up. Naturally blamed my truck (two different days/salesguys) and said Cooper wouldn't warranty anything since they weren't worn out yet. Its only a tread warranty so if you run out of tread within xxx miles.

Oh, well. I wanted the new Yokos but they didn't have them. And since the BFGs were so dang cheap, I gave them a try. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I back up the BFGs 100%. I personally gaurnyee you'll love them

But at least, the people round here that get them and keep them. We get people in that had the origional KOs and say they love the KO2s just as much. Other than those, people also like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Them are some good tires, just a little more noisy and and tougher looking. But beyond those 2 all terrains, I wouldnt reccomend anything else.

Yeah, treadwear only covers the milage. So keep the tires rotated by a authorized mechanic or Discount, and keep the records. (5-7thousand between) and if you don't get the milage stated that you should get, then you are given back a partial refund deleting on how many mikes you didn't receive out of the tires.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I too recommend BFG's...
I've had great mileage out of AT's, KO's, (getting in the 70k range) and now I'm on KO2's... I probably still prefer the look of original AT's, as I'm not into the ascetics of the tread on the sidewall of the KO2's for a general purpose tire... but that's just me... I'm sure it's advantageous for those using them in more extreme off-road conditions.
I used to use BFG MT's in Oz when I had vehicles that spent more time off-road.

I use to work at JTE (Jeep, Truck, Engineering) in R&D... they tested all tire brand/types and the BFG AT's where the best performing/handling on the RAM... but the bean counters insisted on using Goodyear as the factory fit because of some old agreement with Goodyear where they provided (cheap or free) tires for Jeeps during the war effort... so whilst Goodyear is the standard factory tire, you'll see BFG's on any special or limited run models.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Ramman18
Champion

I will never get Duratracs as I think they are the ugliest tire ever made!! Ironically, the wrangler with kevlar is one of the best looking. But Goodyears are priced like Toyos so they must use gold inlaid plies or something.

So far so good on BFGs. Getting lots of compliments. They are also the narrowest 285 I've run yet. Nittos were wider than my outstretched hand by a half inch. Coops were exactly my hand width, and BFGs are half inch less. So they fit the stock wheels better and seem to ride well. Loved the cushion with 35psi but felt draggy so I bumped it to 40 and the ride is harsher but love the power increase. Doesn't feel like I'm even running a bigger tire. They seem to want to roll forward whereas the Coops seemed to be always 'braking' the truck.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I will never get Duratracs as I think they are the ugliest tire ever made!! Ironically, the wrangler with kevlar is one of the best looking. But Goodyears are priced like Toyos so they must use gold inlaid plies or something.

So far so good on BFGs. Getting lots of compliments. They are also the narrowest 285 I've run yet. Nittos were wider than my outstretched hand by a half inch. Coops were exactly my hand width, and BFGs are half inch less. So they fit the stock wheels better and seem to ride well. Loved the cushion with 35psi but felt draggy so I bumped it to 40 and the ride is harsher but love the power increase. Doesn't feel like I'm even running a bigger tire. They seem to want to roll forward whereas the Coops seemed to be always 'braking' the truck.
I these are on your 1500, the BFGs are LTs so the cold pressure should be a minimum of 41. We bump it up in the shop 1psi when Mounting.

I agree with you that the Duratracka are ugly, but whatever they put in them tires is crazy. They wear so well. I do like them on my coworkers jeep tho. I thought they looked good there, not normally on any other vehicle I have seen I like them.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:17 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had duratracs on my durango and they dug me out of some sketchy stuff but sucked on ice. My goodyear authorities on the ram aren't quite the mud tires the duratracs were but way better on ice. Never known anyone to have a good wearing cooper. I hated the first bfg t/a ko but the new ko2s seem way better.