2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Transmission Concern for Long Road Trip

Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
ScottoBlotto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Concern for Long Road Trip

I have had my 98 1500 4X4 for about a year and a half now. Everything runs great on it. I plan on taking it to the beach this summer and driving on the 4X4 area of it. The beach we are going to is 400 miles away from my home and was wondering with the age of the truck and the miles I have on it (162,000) if anyone thinks I'm crazy to take a older truck with that many miles all the way down there. I have read the horror stories of people getting stranded or having to get their trucks towed to a mechanic to be fixed. I'm hoping for neither but wanted to see what everyone's thought's where on here.

The truck has rarely towed and when it has it has been light weight and not long distances. The transmission runs fine occasionally revs to higher RPM before shifting but only noticed it happen twice in the time I have had it. Also if you have any suggestions to prep for the trip besides routine maintenance I'll gladly appreciate them.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Should be just fine. I'd give it an oil/filter change and a good once over, check other fluid levels, brakes, tire pressures, etc. Mines got over 200k and I would not hesitate to drive it that distance, with the exception of the fuel cost related to such a trip...lol.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
bearclaw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be fine as long as you haven't noticed anything major wrong with it. 400 miles ain't nothin. Just do the regular checks and tune-ups before you depart as said above.

Also, be careful on the sand, it can be deceiving!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

If it hasn't been done for a while, fluid/filter and band adjustment would be a good idea, also, getting rid of the check valve in the cooler line. Get it done before you go, so you have some time to drive it around before you embark on a long journey, just so you are sure everything is good to go.

And remember, you have to check fluid level in neutral. Checking in park will give you an artificially high reading.

Search this Thread