2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

experience with a1 auto or am auto parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 PM
01Ramsportore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default experience with a1 auto or am auto parts?

I was looking for some ball joints for my 01 dodge ram 1500 sport ore when I came across a 11 piece steering and suspension kit on am auto for $145. It comes with both upper and lower ball joints for the Lh and Rh sides along with all new inner and outer tie robs, both sway bar links, and track bar. It stats that all of the parts are moog and all the part #'s match moog parts. Well I've read some bad review online about them sending out wrong parts, mix match parts, etc.. but I figured that it could be worth a shot for only 145$ it just makes me nervous because they do not have a contact number. I also found a 13 piece kit for 165$ on a1 auto which come with everything stated above and both tie rod adjusting sleeves. I have dealt with them before (bought both mirrors, wheel huds and tie rods for my Chevy Silverado) and had no problems with them but my only concern with them is they do not mention the part brand or numbers and I do not want to buy some cheap knock-off Chinese made junk. The only reason I am even considering either one is because if they are good parts you can not go wrong for 145-165$. So my question is does any here have any good or bad experience with either company??

Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I have ordered a bunch of parts from AM auto parts, and never had a problem. Always got the right parts, and the fit right up. (mirrors, headlights, door handles, etc.) The quality is not always the best..... (the shiny outer surface on the mirrors eroded away rather quickly. The 26 year old drivers side mirror still looks new. The less than 2 year old passenger side mirror, on the other hand..... looks like crap. The headlights I put on my 96 truck six years ago still look really good though. So, I bought another set for my 98. (which have been in there for about a year, still are fine.)

It's a crap shoot. If they state what brand the parts are, you *might* be safe, but, I think Moog has two levels of part quality..... the cheap, run of the mill guys, and their 'premium' line... which are MUCH better....... Still and all, I see horror stories about their low quality.... even on the premium line. (and that is Moogs fault, not the sellers.) I have seen seen several threads about folks asking for a good quality brand of suspension parts to buy, but, so far, there really isn't a good answer.......

Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 PM
01Ramsportore

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have ordered a bunch of parts from AM auto parts, and never had a problem. Always got the right parts, and the fit right up. (mirrors, headlights, door handles, etc.) The quality is not always the best..... (the shiny outer surface on the mirrors eroded away rather quickly. The 26 year old drivers side mirror still looks new. The less than 2 year old passenger side mirror, on the other hand..... looks like crap. The headlights I put on my 96 truck six years ago still look really good though. So, I bought another set for my 98. (which have been in there for about a year, still are fine.)

It's a crap shoot. If they state what brand the parts are, you *might* be safe, but, I think Moog has two levels of part quality..... the cheap, run of the mill guys, and their 'premium' line... which are MUCH better....... Still and all, I see horror stories about their low quality.... even on the premium line. (and that is Moogs fault, not the sellers.) I have seen seen several threads about folks asking for a good quality brand of suspension parts to buy, but, so far, there really isn't a good answer.......
Okay thanks for the reply! But I couldn't imagine the parts could be that bad because the part #'s all cross reference to duralast parts from autozone, (ive heard that moog can sometimes be sold under the duralast name but manufactured by federal mugal, which supposedly bought moog or something like that) the only difference is for all 11 of those parts at autozone is like 730$ which seems kinda fishy, but I couldnt imagine am auto parts would be switching part #'s or could they

Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Ramsportore
Okay thanks for the reply! But I couldn't imagine the parts could be that bad because the part #'s all cross reference to duralast parts from autozone, (ive heard that moog can sometimes be sold under the duralast name but manufactured by federal mugal, which supposedly bought moog or something like that) the only difference is for all 11 of those parts at autozone is like 730$ which seems kinda fishy, but I couldnt imagine am auto parts would be switching part #'s or could they
Just because a part number cross-references does not mean the quality is the same. It means the part is similar in fit and function.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:01 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can verify that you're getting actual Moog Problem Solver parts, and not just an off brand that cross references with the Moog part number, it might not be a bad way to go.

If you can't verify that, I'd spend the money and buy the quality parts from somewhere like Rock Auto and know exactly what you're getting. Ball joints and other front end components are one place you don't want to cheap out.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

X2! You may save money but have to do the job over again due to poor quality parts. I never had an issue with moog parts, Keep them lubed and they will last along time. If you research their parts the boot's they use seem to the only difference.That was the case when i looked up my ball joints. They have been around long before duracrap/autozone.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:16 AM
01Ramsportore

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
If you can verify that you're getting actual Moog Problem Solver parts, and not just an off brand that cross references with the Moog part number, it might not be a bad way to go.

If you can't verify that, I'd spend the money and buy the quality parts from somewhere like Rock Auto and know exactly what you're getting. Ball joints and other front end components are one place you don't want to cheap out.
But I mean how exactly would I verify they are actual Moog parts. Like I said I got the part numbers from their website and they all match the same part numbers from autozone and rock auto so is that not enough verification?? I just don’t understand how two parts that are made from different company’s but similar could have the same part numbers because I don’t believe a ball joint from autozone and a ball joint from oreillys would have the same part number unless they was made by the same company.

Quick Reply: experience with a1 auto or am auto parts?