2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cleaning up my Junk Yard toolbox...

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Cleaning up my Junk Yard toolbox...

Harbor Freight is usually my main target when I want semi-disposable tools in the box that I won't fret much over leaving behind for others to find.... Decided to RnR the box this weekend, general cleanup and replace some worn out stuff... and take the inventory picture that I can reference when I'm cleaning up to make sure I've got it all... Still waiting on the replacement deep 1/2 drive sockets and the extensions for 1/4 inch drive.

I used to use 3/8" drive all the time, but since I'm getting decrepit from pushing a desk for so many years, I've recently upgraded to carrying 1/4 drive and 1/2 ratchets.... skipping the 3/8. The 3/8 ratchet was a bit big with the reduction bit for little stuff, and wasn't a whole lot of leverage when I needed it. Made the box a bit heavier, but as part of weight reduction, I've stopped carrying the SAE wrenches... probably should remove the 1/4 SAEs that are part of the set, now that I think about it. I'm not finding any 60s and early 70s muscle cars in jyards no more! Also rocking an early 1980s craftsman 18" toolbox that is getting a bit rusty, but it works.

So....whats in YOUR junk yardin' toolbox ??

Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Harbor Freight is usually my main target when I want semi-disposable tools in the box that I won't fret much over leaving behind for others to find.... Decided to RnR the box this weekend, general cleanup and replace some worn out stuff... and take the inventory picture that I can reference when I'm cleaning up to make sure I've got it all... Still waiting on the replacement deep 1/2 drive sockets and the extensions for 1/4 inch drive.

I used to use 3/8" drive all the time, but since I'm getting decrepit from pushing a desk for so many years, I've recently upgraded to carrying 1/4 drive and 1/2 ratchets.... skipping the 3/8. The 3/8 ratchet was a bit big with the reduction bit for little stuff, and wasn't a whole lot of leverage when I needed it. Made the box a bit heavier, but as part of weight reduction, I've stopped carrying the SAE wrenches... probably should remove the 1/4 SAEs that are part of the set, now that I think about it. I'm not finding any 60s and early 70s muscle cars in jyards no more! Also rocking an early 1980s craftsman 18" toolbox that is getting a bit rusty, but it works.

So....whats in YOUR junk yardin' toolbox ??

I carry about 175lbs of tools in my wheeled box lol unless they allow me to take my quad then I have about 200lbs

Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Ah, you are THAT guy

But, PICs or it didn't happen !!!!

Old 02-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Never been to a junk yard . . . are they magical?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Ah, you are THAT guy

But, PICs or it didn't happen !!!!
I have to have everything lol I'll get pics of my setup next time I go lol. I keep grinders, sawzall, and a rebel to

Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Never been to a junk yard . . . are they magical?
Definitely, they can turn a ugly non-running heap into a beautiful and running cruiser

Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Johnny Almeida
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah pretty much the basics or the specific tools i would need to pull certain parts. I like to have a backpack type for carrying tools for the endless walking/searching in a yard. If it came down to it i would definitely use a metal toolbox and a dolly, to move around, to get what i need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning up my Junk Yard toolbox...