2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

replacement truck opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 AM
suckhoe24gio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few and they are awesome

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Noooooooo! Well, there's a lot to deal with. First, the AAM axles are worse than Dana. Replace the ball joints quick with some good aftermarket ones. Second, the steering needs to be upgraded to the 08+ setup. Third, the HVAC systems are horrid. Blend door issues galore. Is it a manual? If not, have fun with that 47re.
But as long as you're happy, enjoy!
I needed a fix for my truck withdrawal ! You forgot about the tipm problems; there is nothing worse than putting a circut board underhood practically unprotected. Its on my list to tear down the fuse box and goop up the board, before the rust belt will cause a failure.

I bought a 04 Ram back in 2004 brand new and kept it 11 years, but it was the 1500 version. I still have one of the blend door replacements with steel mechanism sitting around, and was aware of those issues. Aftermarket has a good fix for that. Surprisingly this truck seems to work just fine HVAC wise, see how long that lasts. Its an automatic, but no odd noises and it seems to shift just fine, fluid looked good. The only thing I noticed was the trans doesn't lurch forward when you drop it in D, wouldn't know it is in gear other than stepping down on the go pedal and having it move forward.... Not sure if that is a sign of a problem or not. It made the 2 hour trip home without issue; steering seemed good and the tires are worn evenly. Water pump is probably leaking from the gasket and the master cylinder was overfull. Had 2 codes for o2 sensor issues, but the CEL was off. It also needs some body massage.... As with any old truck, it'll take me a couple weeks to work out the bugs.

CL pic below; never saw hub caps like those, PO put 285 70s on those steelies. Plan to transfer over my 2014 Ram 20s when I find a replacement for the bent one. Might have to bite the bullet and just get one of those wheels from ebay.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, then youre more than capable of taking care of it! And it looks good! I still like the 3rd gens but it seems there's less than 2nd gens out here. Those wheels look like the OEM steelies but chromed. You did well! Hope it's a great truck for you.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I needed a fix for my truck withdrawal ! You forgot about the tipm problems; there is nothing worse than putting a circut board underhood practically unprotected. Its on my list to tear down the fuse box and goop up the board, before the rust belt will cause a failure.

I bought a 04 Ram back in 2004 brand new and kept it 11 years, but it was the 1500 version. I still have one of the blend door replacements with steel mechanism sitting around, and was aware of those issues. Aftermarket has a good fix for that. Surprisingly this truck seems to work just fine HVAC wise, see how long that lasts. Its an automatic, but no odd noises and it seems to shift just fine, fluid looked good. The only thing I noticed was the trans doesn't lurch forward when you drop it in D, wouldn't know it is in gear other than stepping down on the go pedal and having it move forward.... Not sure if that is a sign of a problem or not. It made the 2 hour trip home without issue; steering seemed good and the tires are worn evenly. Water pump is probably leaking from the gasket and the master cylinder was overfull. Had 2 codes for o2 sensor issues, but the CEL was off. It also needs some body massage.... As with any old truck, it'll take me a couple weeks to work out the bugs.

CL pic below; never saw hub caps like those, PO put 285 70s on those steelies. Plan to transfer over my 2014 Ram 20s when I find a replacement for the bent one. Might have to bite the bullet and just get one of those wheels from ebay.

I know 02-05 threw dashes crack. I never liked the first set of the 3rd gens I like the 06 and up style. Hopefully she runs good and I'll keep a lookout for you. We can text which truck is stronger

Quick Reply: replacement truck opinions