2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Found my truck picture on a accessory website

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found my truck picture on a accessory website

I was browsing the web last night trying to find a picture of a black Protech Headache rack on a red 2005 Dodge ram 3500 because I'm considering putting one on my 2005 diesel. I google those words, hit the images button and see a picture of my 1995 ram all washed up looking pretty from a photo shoot I did with it years ago when I was nominated for truck of the month on this forum. In fact, my avatar picture on here is from that photo shoot, although admittedly it's not the greatest picture. I lost that poll by a landslide by the way. So I click on the picture to see where it's origin is from assuming it'd be from this forum due to that poll years ago. Nope. It brought me to a custom truck accessories webpage where they are using my picture to showcase Protech toolbox's. At first I thought, "You SOB's" but then I thought, well, I guess I have a good enough looking truck for them to steal the picture and use it. I think I should call them up and say how about you give me a deeeeeply discounted or free black Protech Headache rack for using my picture of my truck on your website without my permission and we'll call it square lol. See the link.

https://customtruckaccessories.com/p...sional-series/

Last edited by chromed95; 11-19-2019 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I would do just that,

Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
I was browsing the web last night trying to find a picture of a black Protech Headache rack on a red 2005 Dodge ram 3500 because I'm considering putting one on my 2005 diesel. I google those words, hit the images button and see a picture of my 1995 ram all washed up looking pretty from a photo shoot I did with it years ago when I was nominated for truck of the month on this forum. In fact, my avatar picture on here is from that photo shoot, although admittedly it's not the greatest picture. I lost that poll by a landslide by the way. So I click on the picture to see where it's origin is from assuming it'd be from this forum due to that poll years ago. Nope. It brought me to a custom truck accessories webpage where they are using my picture to showcase Protech toolbox's. At first I thought, "You SOB's" but then I thought, well, I guess I have a good enough looking truck for them to steal the picture and use it. I think I should call them up and say how about you give me a deeeeeply discounted or free black Protech Headache rack for using my picture of my truck on your website without my permission and we'll call it square lol. See the link.

https://customtruckaccessories.com/p...sional-series/

Well, you can try but the web site probably holds copyright on postings here. No harm in asking but I doubt you'll get very far.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Not sure if you can do it here but some pics on the net have copy protection. But even so there are ways around it to get the pic. Best way is to water mark the pic with you screen name. Then others won't be likely to use it.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

What I tell my kids, if you're sharing something on the internet- don't be surprised where it shows up. I think I would offer good pics of their heavily discounted parts on your truck for their marketing purposes, making sure they know that they've deemed your photography acceptable prior and are currently using your pics. Honey rather than salt tends to work better. ymmv

Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
What I tell my kids, if you're sharing something on the internet- don't be surprised where it shows up. I think I would offer good pics of their heavily discounted parts on your truck for their marketing purposes, making sure they know that they've deemed your photography acceptable prior and are currently using your pics. Honey rather than salt tends to work better. ymmv

Yep. Honey catches more bees than vinegar. I also try to keep my words sweet in case I have to eat them.

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Yep. Honey catches more bees than vinegar. I also try to keep my words sweet in case I have to eat them.
Now THERE is a pearl of wisdom.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 PM
chromed95
Captain

Yeah I'm not really worried about a copyright issue. The more I think about it, the more I feel good that they picked my truck to use on their website.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Dude, protech is wayyyy over priced fashion bling for trucks. They're not nearly as quality as Highway Products.

I'd be pissed. Write a letter asking nicely ONCE, with an ultimatum or deadline for response, and if they blow it or refuse, hit them with a lawsuit. This is still America for now. Go get 'em.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:23 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Dude, protech is wayyyy over priced fashion bling for trucks. They're not nearly as quality as Highway Products.

I'd be pissed. Write a letter asking nicely ONCE, with an ultimatum or deadline for response, and if they blow it or refuse, hit them with a lawsuit. This is still America for now. Go get 'em.
Nah, most of the Highway Products headache racks looks too Chevy avalanche for me. Protech has a nice clean look, not too busy. Haven't seen a headache rack look as nice as a protech yet. But that's my taste I guess. Yes, they're pricey, buy you also get what you pay for in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Found my truck picture on a accessory website