2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 03:57 AM
kytray
Default RE: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

I bought my 1999 Ram Sport 1500 2 years ago from a dodge dealer here in KY. About 3 months ago I noticed 2 small cracks starting at the defrost vents that I hadn't seen before.Today, oneof those cracks goes all the way to the front of the dash just behind the instrument panel trim and the other is about 6" long. The drink cup holder hindge is broke as well. It may have been already broken when the truck was purchased and I possibly didn't notice it since I rarely use it. It's probably made out of the same material. Anyway, (back to the dash), this truck sits a week at a time as I drive a big rig during the week. I've never abused this truck and it still looks great except for the dash, therefore it really botheres me that out of the blue the dash just cracked for no aparent reason. I do not know the history of any previous Armorall usage on the dash but I've never used it on this truck myself. After reading all these posts it's obvious there is a materials defect here. I read an article where a tv station in FL did a recall campaign last spring on this very problem after receivingnumerious viewer complaints. I've also read numerous posts on other sites as well. That being said, I'd really like to see a recall on all our dashesbutsince mine is8+ years old I don't see how I could get minereplaced except out of my own pocket. If one were to buya replacement dash from the dealer would it be comprised of the same material as the original? If so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I'm considering a dash cap instead. Good luck....I feel your pain!

Old 07-14-2007 | 03:43 PM
Trashlord
Rookie

luckily my dash is in perfect condition (knock on wood) but a coworker also has a 1999 1500 and the hole in the dash on the drivers side is big enough to put your head through it.

after reading all the responses on this thread I am left with a question....if we only talk here about all the good stuff and never bring up any of the issues that arise with our trucks, how are we ever going to gain any knowledge?

so what if its a 1 year old or 10 year old truck, who set a time limit on when it should go in the bone yard??? other companies have had there problems too, I had a gm car repainted a few years back due to paint flaking, and they contacted me first, my paint showed no signs of any problem. I've had a truck from GM, Ford, and now Dodge....and the Dodge is here to stay!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:42 PM
Fox Fader
Captain

ORIGINAL: robformus

Here is a link to a local news site that is trying to get something done about the broken dashes...If the dash gets bad enough it turns into a safty problem...The news site said that there are people that are having electrical problems due to direct sun light to the wiring. http://www.local6.com/news/13227601/detail.html
Glad you found this, I've replied to all those sources. Hope it helps.

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:50 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

The cracking of the dashes isnt because of stress or heat, it is because when they manufactured them, Chrysler cheapened up on the plastic. What weakens them is the UV rays from the sun because there are very few, if any, additives to prevent the damage to the plastic. Once the sun weakens them, they are susceptible to damage from the dash shifting or being hit. I will get some pics of my dad's 98 1500 with the cracked dark gray dash.

Old 07-14-2007 | 09:02 PM
echseman
Professional

i love working on my truck. if something breaks, i am happier than hell to fix it. new inovative ways to make things better, etc....

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:34 PM
kytray

Crap! I just got in from a week on the road and founda 3rd crack about 1" longnear the left defrost vent! This is rediculous![:@]

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:58 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chet

your being a dumb ***. What were saying is why is it that pretty much only dodge dash's crack, paint chip and tranny suck? My dad has a 2000 chevy and uses it as his farm truck and doesnt clean or take care of it and with a little TLC it would look better than my truck. Our old utility truck was a 1986 ford, if not for a little rust on the fender it would look perfect(besides the motor quit). What I am saying is i take care of my truck and all the other trucks out last it.
Your being a dumb *** for calling him that. and making false statments.

I have had both Ford and GM products with cracked dashes.
What about GMs water based primer where all the paint peels off?
Drive by your local trans shop you will see more GMs in there than anything else.

[sm=violin.gif]If you don't like the Dodge quit winning and trade it for a ****roley! [sm=violin.gif]

Old 07-18-2007 | 03:14 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slade901

ORIGINAL: radwebster

If you guys consistantly see chevys and fords lasting longer.. then why are you even drivinga chrysler?
We are stuck on this vehicle and we don't have money growing on trees to just throw away this vehicle and buy another vehicle. The way you talk to us makes me think you are rich guy and spoiled. Let us vent about this issue which is a very obvious problem to this Dodge Ram 1500 2nd generation. No smart remarks from you either.
Your sig list 6 vehicals you now own (unless your lieing) so I think your the one who is "rich and spoiled" (He only owns 1)

Old 07-21-2007 | 02:28 PM
DanaR

How about a little help with the rust on the bottom of my 98 dodge ram 2500 quad cab. I've been told thatthe doors need to be replace and by others that they make bottoms for the doors.This is the only problem I have had with the truck. ANy cost estimates?

Old 12-03-2012 | 07:57 PM
TexasDog

I thought I'd take a second to add to an old thread. Just took over a 97 Ram 1500 that was my Father's. Dash is terribly cracked. So a guy who has an almost identical Ram gets in mine and starts laughing....his dash is cracked in the exact same places.

Quick Reply: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes