2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram tank leak HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM
storman1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram tank leak HELP!!!

Smelled fuel last weeek from my 2wd96 Ram 1500 Club Cab just over 10000 miles. Found some wet spots near front left side up top. Dropped tank found 1/2 crack behind front strap just above strap contact point and to rear slightly. Roughed area up with 100 grit and cleaned. Applied JB weld original let sit for a few days, filled it to 3/4 tank yesterday. Got home smelled fuel again lokked under tank wet. called Autozone $800 Gonna drain it today and look for another crack and check my last repair. I bought this truck brand new never been of road mostly highway commute miles, cant believe tank has cracks and the amount of rust under this truck. My 86 Nisaan 4wd did the same commute for years and lots of off road mud ponds floods never had any rust under her. Must have been cheap frame paint. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM
storman1
Default RE: Ram tank leak HELP!!!

Ok jacked the back up pulled front strap, the JB weld has cracked, at least it looks like it has, I think I see a crack in it the FlowMasters are in the way. Ok what nextmore Jb or somethin different?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would try the JB weld one more time, try to scratch it up good to give it something to grab onto. i'm not sure what the tank is made of, but i went through some efforts with trying to bond plastics last year in order to patch a canoe. some of the polyethelene plastics that are made from oil are slick, and the adhesives won't bond. believe it or not, shoe goo ended up sticking better than anything else on the canoe. another canoe repair tip, i read to wave a torch over the plastic to heat it up (not melt it) for it to bond better. probably not recommended for a gas tank !!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
trukr36
Amateur

JB Weld isn't the best for gas tanks. You should be able to find a product called Gas Tank Repair in most automotive stores. It's a grey roll of putty with a black core. You pull a piece off and roll it around in your hand until you have a uniform color then press it into the crack. Works better if you pry open the crack a little more to let the putty push right into it. Sets up hard and fast, even if the area is wet. This stuff goes by a few different names but it's usually in the silicone and adhesive rack. I've used it on tanks and rads and it works great. This is the stuff:
hxxp://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
storman1

Ok tried the 2 part gray an blackgas tank repair. Let it sit till tonite took the truck around the block leaking again. I guess Il try making the crack bigger and shoving it into the crack as suggested. Didnt get thetrukr 36 post till toady. If that doesnt work, Im gonna drop a match under it!! its insured!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Gas tanks are pretty cheap (all things considered). You can bump up your capacity to 35G cheaper than replacing your 26G ... check it out: http://tinyurl.com/2zskks

Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 AM
storman1

Thanks Bill I didnt even think to try, since Auto zoned wanted 708.00 Re checked auto zone $708 for a tranfer tank not fuel tank!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Can you even get one locally ... besides the *choke* dealer?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM
storman1

So farno from autozoned and advanced,gonna try the new NAPA store up the street. I havent tried the stealer yet, I did have a friend there in parts,that got my the cam and headers from Direct Connectionusing alocal repair shops account for the discount, and paying cash no tax! Hope Hes still around. Im gonna drop the tank down one more time and use a step bit to open the crack and try the tank sealer again. Thanks for the ideas and help I got a feeling I may go with the 35 gal you found for me. I havent seen what the want for shipping yet. Also need to check if the same mounting straps are used to with the big tank! I will post the results!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

I believe that I read somewhere on the site that shipping is about 6% or so.

I'll look around for straps.

Quick Reply: Ram tank leak HELP!!!