2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle housing seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Jonah Hex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle housing seal

Hi Everyone,

I know that at least 1 or 2 of you have replaced the the front u-joints on your 4x4 Ram. My question is this....where do you find the seals that are pressed onto axle shafts that cover the gap between the front axles and the axle housing? I replaced the passenger side u-joint last week and have been unable to find this seal ANYWHERE. I would like to replace them because I don`t want my axle tubes full of debris.The old one separated when I pulled the axle out.
It is marked on the outer ring.......Forsheda Made in the USA Patented A083612 49254

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jonah

Old 04-11-2007, 03:33 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Front axle housing seal

try someplace like this that sells Forsheda products. Maybe they can get that part number.
unbelievable that dodge doesn't provide them. reckon what they do when they replace ujoints ?
(leave them out i guess)

http://www.mspseals.com/mro.asp

Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Jonah Hex

Thanks dhvaughn, I found that website when I googled Forsheda. The website does not have much info that can be accessed, so I guess I will rip them off an email.
I went to the Dodge dealership, and they show theseal as part of the front axle assembly, but it doesn`t have a separate part number. I wasn`t interested in buying a whole new axle to get a $10.00 seal!
Thanks again for the reply.

Jonah

Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
DODGE 4X4

when i replaced my u joints i didn't have a problem with the seals but a week after the fix i find out the 4 wheel drive doesnt work any ideas

Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Jonah Hex

Dodge4x4 ,

I remember reading your query in another thread....check to see if the vacuum line is connected to the cannister on the front axle, along with the electrical connector. My next thought was to check the relay in the pcm under the hood. Failing that, check to make sure that the bulb is not burnt out, stranger coincidences have happened! Good luck!

Jonah

Old 04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Try a Dana dealer. Your talking about the plastic piece? I don't even think mine has them.

Quick Reply: Front axle housing seal