2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Type of Synthetics???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:08 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Type of Synthetics???

I HAVE A 2000 4X4 DODGE RAM OFF-ROAD WITH 5.9 AND I AM GOING TO ALL SYNTHETIC FLUIDS AND I WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT FLUIDS TO USE.....LIKE THE DIFFERENTIALS(WHAT WEIGHTS) AND THE TRANSMISSION(I HEARD ABOUT THE DODGE RECCOMENDATIONS AND DONT KNOW WHICH ONE TO USE ,THE SYNTHETIC OR DODGE RECCOMENDATIONS)AND THE OIL,SHOULD I USE THA AMSOIL OR MOBILE ONE? I USED MOBILE ONE BEFORE BECAUSE THE PERSON I BOUGHT THE TRUCK OFF OF USED IT THE WHOLE TIME AND I DIDNT HAVE THE TRUCK VERY LONG SO I DONT KNOW HOW IT REALLY DID....SO IF YOU GUYS CAN JUST GIVE YOUR OPINIONSI WOULD APPRECIATE IT....I KNOW THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A QUESTION ASKED OVER AND OVER SO IF YOU GUYS DONT WANT TO MESS WITH IT THEN THATS OK TOO... I WILL SEE IT ON THE FORUM SOMETIME OR ANOTHER...LOL....OK THANX!!!!

Old 09-05-2004, 05:32 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: WHAT TYPE SYNTHETICS??????

I've used both Mobil-1 and Amsoil. Didn't have any problems with either one.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
BULLDOG
Rookie

I agree with "dustyloins" truly you just can't go wrong. If you feel ambitious, and like to see bickering, search up my name and you can see a good thread on this subject.
Red-line also makes one hell-of a good diff oil.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:58 PM
Rumy

I just had Amsoil 75w-90 put in my 04 Ram with only 1,000 miles on it. Should I have waited until it broke in more before making the switch?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
JRod17
Amateur

I have my truck running completely on Amsoil.. runs cooler. quieter and shifts better. Does any other oil have a guarantee? I haven't found one.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

long term use of synthetic will result in 'cajun crust'.. dino oil, changed every 3~5k will be more than suitable, and it seems (at least in my truck) the valve train is quieter...

I run royal purple in the **** of the truck.. have had no issues..

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Im completely Amsoil-ed out. No problems. But I also get all my fluids for free from my job, and luckily they are firm believers in Amsoil and Lucas. And since the oil little be run a little longer between changes than conventional, I can afford K&N o filters. Definantly worth it IMO...

Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
long term use of synthetic will result in 'cajun crust'.. dino oil, changed every 3~5k will be more than suitable, and it seems (at least in my truck) the valve train is quieter...
The whole crust stuff is unproven. For the one or two cases of people I've seen claim synthetics caused this or that build-up, I've seen two dozen others who have had no problems with synthetics for tens of thousands of miles, their engines clean as can be.

The only thing that has been proven about synthetics (from a negative stand point) is the cost, and that it will clean out gunk that was helping plug up holes in seals on high mileage trucks. It didn't cause the leak problem, it just revealed it.

To the OP, wildwolf: please do not type in all capital letters. It is the equivalent of yelling in an internet setting.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, don't give wolf a hard time, he posted that in 2004.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Holy crap I didn't even realize that...

Quick Reply: What Type of Synthetics???