2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

looking for lockers for my 99 ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
towguy2007
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for lockers for my 99 ram

just wondering what the best locker would be for my axles in my truck
looking for some advise please help

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker
Default RE: looking for lockers for my 99 ram

lockers arnt very street friendly, a good limited slip is what ya want, standby for someone to suggest what kind cause idk whats good limited slip company, prly auburn?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:40 PM
towguy2007
Rookie

locker for second truck project truck i am working on

Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

probably a detroit locker in the rear, and for the front you can do either air locker arb, or a e locker

Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

I had a PowerTrax in my 93 dakota a few years ago. was a great unit and i abused the crap out of it in the mud and at the track. never let me down.

will be one of the first mods to my 97 ram when i have the $$$

Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Unless your rich get an Aussie locker for the front. They're cheap and great quality, I know lots of people with them in alot of different applications and nobody has had a problem. www.aussielocker.com
If its a pure off road truck (and even if its not IMO) don't get a selectable locker, they're really nice but expensive. When in 2wd a full time/ratcheting locker isn't gonna act any different than open in 2wd.

As for the rear theres not as many options, Detroits are nice but way over priced. Could get a LockRight, they're pretty much the same as an Aussie and it won't chirp when you turn because its a ratcheting locker.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if a simple diy install appeals to you, look at the powertrax noslip. i like mine.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
towguy2007
Rookie

thank for all the help guys still searching if any one hass any thing better

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'm guessing you have a 1500? Unfortunatly, other than whats been listed, theres not a lot of options for the 9.25 axle in the rear. Your front D44 has a myriad of choices, but using a "hard locker" is stressful on a CAD equipped axle. The reason is that a fully locked front diff can be hard to turn. It places extra stress on U-joints and half shafts.
Having a Limited slip is a waste of money unless you buy a good one, and it still can let go at the worst time. For the $ spent, get a hard locker and mod the axle.
One last thought, if you're going to spend a couple grand on a D44, you're better off moving up to a D60...

Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You say your still searching, so what are you looking for?

You need to be more specific I guess on what exactly you want.

If you want a selectable your gonna pay a ton of money. I personally would stay away from the electric ones. If you do want electric Detrior makes the Electrac locker, Eaton also makes one I think. (Eaton is the parent company to Detroit) Get either an Air lock oer cable. the ONLY air locker company is ARB. The ONLY cable lock company (other then some old factory applications...) is OX. For an ARB locker and air compressor your looking at about $1000. I think OX's are like $850. These are your only selectable options. They're stupid expensive, but are kinda nice to have.

Full time locker and ratcheting locker is your best bet for the front still. Like I said already, Aussie Locker makes a great product for cheap, as does LockRight. There's Detroit to, they're really strong but over priced in my opinion.

You can also weld the front or put a spool in, this is the crudest way but always works good. The only problem is its the hardest on the dront axle out of the selectables and ratcheting. Spools are all over for D44. Mini spools just replace the spiders with a solid chunk, and a full spool replaces the whole carrier. These offer NO slip and are really hard on the front.

As for the rear, like we also already said, theres not alot of choices. I think Detroit maybe and Auburn. Aussie and LockRight don't make them, I don't think there is an ARB or OX for them either. The only options you have for the rear is Mini spool, full spool, Detroit, or weld it.

I would personally just weld the rear or get a mini spool. You'll screech the tires a bit when you turn but the rear is alot strong then the front and can take the abuse with out a problem (90% of the time).

Thats really all there is to know. So what are you exactly looking for?

Quick Reply: looking for lockers for my 99 ram