2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine light and transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:37 PM
fitpays
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light and transmission problem

hey guys. i have a 1997 dodge ram sport 4x4 with the 360 v8. i bought the truck with over 160k on it and the only problem with it was the "check engine" light was on. the preious owner told me it was coming from the transmission according to the dealer. i bought it anyway because it was the buy of a lifetime and i had it gone over at the dealer as well. anyway, the code in the computer is coming from the torque converter sensor. so it could be the tranny ($2,000.00) or it could be the sensor ($4.00). either way, it will be 2 grand to rip it all apart and find out. the truck runs like a million bucks and there is no problems with shifting or performance. i had the tranny serviced with new fluid and filter. the filter looked good, fluid was clean, and no metal fragments anywhere. so i have come to the conclusion that i am going to run it until it breaks, then worry about it. so the reason for my post is this: does anyone else have this problem? what have you guys done to deal with it? i believe i'll run it until the tranny falls apart and then take it to a trans shop and have it rebuilt. the truck has 180k on it now and it is my pride and joy. i cant wait to turn a quarter-million on it!

Quick Reply: check engine light and transmission problem