2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shaker hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Dtruck96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaker hood

I just installed my shakerhood after sitting in my garage for a year. (Deployed) Anyways, I have some serious body gaps and my grill didnt match up with the holes in the hood at all. Anyone else out there that owns this hood hit me back. Need help. Thanks

Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: shaker hood

please shoot some pics, im interested in the hood myself.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:38 PM
stick1994
Professional

Fiberglass right? They usually take a little bit of work to get them fit up right. Lets see a few pics so i know what your working with.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
jram99
Veteran

Dtruck96, I have that hood. It also has large gaps on the sides and I had to play around with the grill to get it to work. I like the hood and have gotten used to the gaps but I think when I get the money, I may have someone cut my steel hood to fit the scoop and re-install it. Heres some pics on mine. Jeff.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43161/F86D0CCB87224BF4BFD49574B78AA5B4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43161/0D05FD4EEE1843F1926C4B9B9A95F674.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2007, 11:13 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

who makes them hoods that you guys are having fitment problems with? are they the keystone good hood?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
jram99
Veteran

shott8283, it is the Keystone Good Hood. The hood itself is really nice. I'ts thick enough that it doesn't allow a bunch of engine noise in and it's finished off really nice on the underside. It looks to me that they made the sides exta thick where it sits on the fenders but because of this it doesn't sit down as far as the factory hood did. If I would have had the extra cash I would have gotten someone experienced in fiberglass to install it. Maybe they could have made it fit better. There isn't **** for adjustment in the hinges so I basically got it as close as I could and called it done. As far as the grill, I just opened up the 2 end bolt holes on the hood where the grill mounts, then used a large washer on those 2 holes. I was able to get the grill to fit good. This was the 2nd fiberglass piece I bought. I got a roll pan to go on my boys RamCharger and it was a pain to install also although I can't complain about that one because it wasn't made for the RamCharger it was for a Dodge truck. It looked good when done but took a few hours to get it right. It's too bad they don't sell just the scoop because that would be the way to go. Get the scoop and have a good body person cut the factory hood to fit it. Jeff.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Dtruck96
Professional

Well I finally got it to fit decent. Took some moving of the hinges and the hood itself on the hinges but like jram 99 said I still have gaps on the side. I would post some pics on here but I just bought a new computer and I am having trouble locating the install cd for my camera. Anyways when i find it will put some pics up. Also jram did you experience any squeaking when you put yours on? I am thinking it is the rubber gasket around the scoop. I will mess with it some and see if I can get it to stop. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

how much are they, and lets see a pic of it open, and how the shaker attaches....does it attach to the hood, or does it actually attach to the throttle body.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Here's a pic from jram99's photo gallery

[IMG]local://upfiles/32197/38078FB135BF433997520A2E87BDC229.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
jram99
Veteran

Dtruck96, yes I had the squeeking and it drove me nuts. I finally figured out it was from the flange on the lowerpart of the scoop assembly that connects to the TB rubbing against the firewall in the tunnel. Was a tight fit for sure. I did 2 things to make life easier. I cut off that bolt that hangs down from the left upper side. And I used a power sander to remove enough of the flange at the rear & sidesof the assembly until it didn't rub anymore. Lots of trips around the neighbor hood with no hood, just the scoop until I could hit bumps and slam the throttle without the scoop rubbing the firewall. I also decided to use a nut and washer to hold the assembly down instead of the butterfly nut just for a little extra clearance. Now I have a question for you. You said you were able to adjust the hinges and the hood. I didn't see any adjustment in the hinge, can you describe what you did? My gap is now is only at the rear of the hood where it attaches to hinge. If I could adjust that out, the hood would fit really nice. Like I've said before, I don't know **** about body work!

Indy, I paid about $850 from Summit. That included shipping via truck also. The scoop comes in about 5 main pcs. There's the part that attaches to the TB and also holds the 12 or 14 inch round air filter. Then the top to that pc, then the bottom section of the shaker scoop and then the shaker scoop that goes thru the hood. I think it could have been designed better with fewer pcs but when it's on right and the hoods closed, it looks good. To anyone thinking about this hood, if you get one, take your time make sure each part is on right and you will be happy with it. If you have experience working with fiberglass, you are way ahead of the game. If anyone wants different pictures at certain angles or what ever, let me know. I will be happy to shoot what ever is needed if someone is trying to make a decision on buying one of these. Jeff.

Quick Reply: shaker hood