2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

penalty for lifted trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 AM
importkillerrr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: penalty for lifted trucks?

I have 35" Mickey Thompson mtz's on my hummer and love em, would love to get 37"mtz's for the ram but don't know if 37's would look too small.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

some states (NC for example) measure how many inches the headlights are off teh ground. ive only seen it twice but some trucks make brackets to lower their headlights to be legal.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Pyromanaron
Professional

Down here in Alabama, we just just ignore those laws, if they even exist. I saw one truck that had to come to a complete stop before it could turn. The wheels were taller than me.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i think in pa they go by bumpers and headlights

Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM
dirty dog
Professional

well this is how mine is setup right now i have the stock coils and blocks and have 3" spacers on top of the coils and 3" blocks on the stock block, with a 3" body lift. Im taking out the stock coils and putting 5" coils and taking the 3" blocks out of the rear andputting 4" leafs on 2" blocks. so ill have 11" of lift.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM
RamGoat

I've lived in GA my whole life and never heard of anyone getting pulled over for their ride being too high or the wheels sticking out too far.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM
dirty dog
Professional

the lift law used to be 57" to the bottom of your headlights and that is higher than 16" of lift and 44s. they changed the law to 2" over stock now and they are kinda layed back in my town. but i dont know how long they are going to let us ride around like this.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:17 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: importkillerrr

I'm in NJ and we have a altered height inspection station here that any truck over stock height has to go through. I have the skyjacker 7" long arm kit and a 3" body on mine and I get hassled by cops nearly every day. Our law states that tires also can't stick out past the fenders and mine stick out almost 5", no flare made will cover it so I cam kinda screwed. I need to get different rims with more backspace to pull the tires under the fenders more before I can even think about going o the tilt table inspection center. NJ sucks[:@]
yes sir nj does suck. Theres very little you can do to get arround inspection in this state, be it emmisions, lift, or whatnot. its a shame that theres no way of getting arround it permenantly. There arent that many people who would go against the inspection rules to began with, so they really should just do it for things that are broken and people just dont fix, not modded things.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
QuadCab318
Rookie

NJ's not that bad with inspections once every two years..............New York on the hand......only second to California in terms of restrictions and emissions, inspections every year

don't even get me started on the NYCMA area inspections (the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau county, Suffolk County, Westchester County, and Rockland County)

Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 PM
lucas3397
Professional

www.roughcountry.com has all the state lift laws on there web site.

Quick Reply: penalty for lifted trucks?