2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WHAT IS WRONG!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
screamin99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT IS WRONG!?

Another transmision difficulty! I've pretty much out-ruled a manual swap due to lack of parts trucks in the area. So I wondering if what was wrong with my transmision was an easy fix. After about 10 miles of a steady speed in OD (68-69 mph) it acts like the torque coverter unlocks when you hit a sharp bump and the rpms jump up and a split second later it engages and runs about 18-1900 rpm. It usually happens on a bump but not always, and sometimes it does it with out a bump, but not usually. Last week I took it to Wisconsin and after 700 miles and crappy roads it did it a total of 4 times. This week I hauled a Toyota 3.0 V6 and drive train in the bed of my truck for 40 miles along rough road andI couldn't count how many times it did it. After that I replaced the tranny filter and put in 6 qts of Atf+4 and 2 bottles of Lucas tranny fix. It seemed to help but it still does it occasionally. The previous fluid looked and smelt good and was not burnt and minimal metal shavings in the pan. I think it has something to do with the torque converter lock mechanism because it doesn't slip in any gears and shifts nice and crisp.

Thanks, Ian

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: WHAT IS WRONG!?

one of the signals to tell the tranmission to shift out of OD and unlock tc comes from the brake light switch under the dash. yours might be all worn out and rattling around on bumps. maybe ?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 AM
360Sport01
Professional

maybe a loose wire for the t/c lock up? also i wouldnt tow on a dodge auto in OD, we had to replace 4 trannys cuz ppl did that and burned out the tranny

Old 05-03-2007, 03:38 AM
froesen
Professional

The brake switch thing is possible, but I had the same problem, and my cruise didn't drop out when the torque convertor unlocked/locked, so I don't think that the brake switch is likely, at least not in my case. Were you using cruise? Symptoms sounded very much like mine. What I've heard a few people say is that the throttle position sensor gets dirty and gives the computer lying info, and if you give the throttle a real quick stab/release in cruise, it does seem similar other than the engine wanting to pull (b/c the throttle really is open, not just the comp thinking it is). Anyone else heard of these TPS woes? I'd fix mine and tell you if it worked, but my TC is deuced (probably mostly cause of these locks/unlocks) and am considering one from Level 10 (this is my 3rd convertor) as well as one of their rebuild kits....anyone have experience with them/their kits? (sorry for the minor hijack.)

Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace the brake lite switch and ck for flash up date on the PCM controller. You may find there is a up date not only shift problems but for engine ping problems as well.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 PM
screamin99

I wasn't using cruise. When I use cruise it seems to do it a lot worse. So you guys think it is an electrical problem?(brake light switch or TC lock soleniod, ect.) Today im gunna take it to a transmision shop which does free diognostics and estimates. I'll see what they say and if they're gunna try and screw me hard.

Thanks a lot guys, Ian

Quick Reply: WHAT IS WRONG!?