2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird sound from the pass side

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 AM
whiteram00
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird sound from the pass side

i got this weird sound comeing from the pass side,sounds like somebody with a ball pin hammer tapping on my metal,it only does it when i get around 15 to 40 mph,maybe a u joint or something,i dunno never heard of this sound before

Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 AM
mopar crazy
Professional
Default RE: weird sound from the pass side

How loud is your exhaust? I ask because mine is kinda loud but I can still hear things out of the ordinary. Last year I had a weird intermitant sound coming from the rear. It sounded like something rattling around in my bed. Now I have a bed liner in there and I always keep it empty so I was like wtf. After many hours of scratching my head I finally figured out what it was. I have a hitch on the back of my truck and the dual exhausts exit next to it. For some reason the passenger side exhaust tip has moved closer to the hitch and was occassionally hitting the hitch, thus vibrating against it and resonating in the bed. I put a piece of fuel line between the exhaust tip and hitch and no more noise.

Long story short......could be something with the exhaust maybe? Like one of the exhaust hanger welds broke free and is sometimes vibrating against the pipe at certain speeds. I had that happen to me 2 years ago as well. Ujoints, if yoru talking about front, will make a clicking noise even at 5mph but im not sure about the driveshaft ujoints as Ive never had one go bad on me before.. I had my front ujoint replaced twice so i know that sound. Check underneath for for anything that might be loose. Could be somethign simple.

Does it matter if your on a smooth surface or only on bumpy roads?

Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably your catylitic converter rattleing...

Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 AM
mopar crazy
Professional

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Its probably your catylitic converter rattleing...
doh, forgot to think about the cat. could be just the heat shield starting to vibrate. let us know what ya come up with.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:22 PM
whiteram00
Captain

well i took the truck out today an used my 4 wheel drive an runed it up to about 40 an then back down an it didnt make the noise,could it be a cv joint

Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
whiteram00
Captain

ok i found the prob it was the front pass side u joint,now how hard is these to replace,never replaced a front joint before

Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

Trade in the blond for abrunet then the loose marbels wound not be rattling around in her head.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 PM
95ramdan
Professional

Its not hard as long asyou have the right tools. First the caliper and rotor have to come off, then the wheel bearing assembly, then pull the axle out. Just be careful when you push the axle back in. Be gentle because the axle seals are not fun to replace.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
TheForce55555
All Star

The front wheel bearing can a real mother F***** to get out. I had to heat my spindle with a torch. Once it is out the axleshaft comes right out, i suggest cuttting the Ujointapart with a torch or just take it to a local garage and have them to do it. because if you tweak the ears on the axleshaft you will have a bad vibration when assembled. Try not to use the BFH to much. Also smear some antiseize on everything during reassembly to make the next tear down easier

Quick Reply: weird sound from the pass side