2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

abs and tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Twinsfan85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and tranny problem

Hey everyone. I have a 95 Ram 1500 5.9L V8. It runns like a top but lately I've been ahving some problems. I'm going to call my mechanic tommorrow and set an appt with him but I want to see if anyone can help me figure this out. Heres what I have going on:
1. My trans won't shift into 4th on the highway It just stopped doing it about a week or 2 ago. It does in the mornings when I go to work but never again the rest of the day. This morning it went into it like it usually does but slipped out twice and then back into it.
2. I've been getting the abs and brake light when I take it on the highway. This one happens all the time except for the morning drive like the tranny. It happenes about a year and a half ago too and my mechanic said it was just a dirty sensor in the rear.I'm going to assume that thats the problem this time however I'm a little unsure since the tranny has been acting wierd the same amount of time.
3 It feels like when I'm on the highway that the truck is having to push against something. Just not riding free if you get what I mean. This one might just be in my head but I'm really not sure. I would bet that if something is wrong with my brakes or tranny then it's not and it really is working harder than it has too.
Does anyone have any insight on these problems? Think they can possible be related to the same thing? Any input would be helpful. I'm a do it yourself guy but since I have no clue on this one I'm going to bring it to my mechanic. Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Twinsfan85
Default RE: abs and tranny problem

Just an update. I guess they are related because today while I was driving the abs lights went off and then my tranny shifted like it was supposed to. Still don't know what the hell the problem is though

Old 05-09-2007, 01:30 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You may have two problems, 1st would be the output sensor on the trans and an ABS sensor on the rear diff. Have your tech ck for stored codes.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Twinsfan85

Brought the truck up to mymech today but he couldn't acess the codes. He checked all the basics with the tranny and said everything looks great but there was nothing he could really do since they could not pull the codes. I had the problem with the abs sensor before and he cleaned it and it worked fine so I figure I might as well give it a shot myself and see what it does rather than bring it to a dealership where they will charge me and arm and a leg. Im only 19 and a full time student in college so I can't really afford to. I know where the sensor is but how would I go about cleaning it? Also the guy above me said something about the output sensor on the trans. WHere is this located and can this be cleaned up too? If anyone else has some ideas about the problem and a resolution I would appreciate any input. Thanks to anyone who helps me out with this.

Quick Reply: abs and tranny problem