2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM HUNT

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
82lowe36id
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM HUNT

Looks like I need to replace my PCM. Anyone have a place that has been good in the past? Should I have mine rebuilt or buy new?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: PCM HUNT

Log into www.car-parts.com It is a used auto part clearinghouse site for auto salvage yards all over the US.

For your 2001 Ram you need to know the manufacture date or at least the month as in 2001 Dodge used 2 different PCM's. I purchased a used PCM from a salvage yard found on this site for $100 and it worked fine. Most will give you your money back if the PCM does not work when you hook it up. My first one gave me the CEL code for a bad PCM. No issue with the return.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 PM
82lowe36id
Rookie

Well, that site worked. I found many in my area! Now, what would be the reason I would need to have it flashed? Doesn't the PCM srore the milage for the vehicle? What all will I need to do after install...if it works?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Mileage is stored in another module on the comm bus. If you match the part # off your original box, you should not need a flash to make it run. If you ever go to a dealer for service the drb scanner might come back with an error when they punch your vin in though. Also 2001 will probablyhave the death flash on it. I would get the pcm, and send it off to B&G or Tom Fox along with your vin and desired level of performance.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:57 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I have actually replaced my PCM without the need for anyflashing. You could take it to the dealer and have them assign your VIN if you want but you do not need to. If you ever do take it to a dealer for work you could do that then.

if you have limited mods, a custom B&G orTom Fox flash probably won't help a lot. It will helpsome but if you are going to do further mods later, you wil lneed it flashed again for another$300 - $400. Best option may be to install the new PCM, see how your truck runs, then look into a hypertech or superchip programmer unti lyou are pretty close to being done with your mods. Then look into the custom flash.

Also, keep your original PCM on a shelf somewhere. You may need to look up some numbers on it at a later date.

Quick Reply: PCM HUNT