2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

not Dodge, But can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
bdunegan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not Dodge, But can anyone help?

not problems with my Dodge, but this morning i started my 90 toyota pickup to warm up for work. when i went out to leave, noticed a hot smell, and smoke from underneath. looked under, and my cat was glowing hot orange. truck had not ran but about ten minutes idling, and this thing was that hot! have not had any trouble before with cutting out or anything, and seems to be putting out a lot of exhaust pressure. anyone have any ideas???

Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: not Dodge, But can anyone help?

I'm betting money that the Cat is clogged, which means you have other issues, such as a bad O2 sensor (or more if the truck has multiple sensors). Theoretically, the Cat should never clogged and outlast the vehicle, but if the emissions system is not up to snuff, then a chain of events will start.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
bdunegan
Amateur

forgot to mention that truck is 4cyl with carb, not FI. do not see 02 sensor anywhere in exhaust. cat is only thing that glows. exhaust fore and aft seems normal. but is still putting plenty of pressure out tailpipe. is it possible that catalyst in cat is bad retaining heat, and not really stopped up. is there such a thing as a bad cat without choking down exhaust pressure out tailpipe? truck seems to run fine with plenty of power even on full acceleration. no misses or anything. i dont know, this is why i am asking. thanks for your quick response!!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 PM
adingman99

I had the same thing happen to my Jeep. New cat's (3 of them on there) and all worked fine.

Quick Reply: not Dodge, But can anyone help?