2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram Air Box

Thanks to the posts you did weeks ago I bought one of those.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopowar

I used the snorkels for two reasons. One, the primary reason, because there is not 4" of space between the radiator and the upright to run the 4" duct without mashing it down. Two because I wanted a secure anchor point where I didn't have to worry about the ducts gettng blown back into the belt. I read afew write-ups on semi-home brewram air intakes where guys went way past where I will ever go in testing this set up. The predominant theme in allwas that the main thing is diameter of the duct, the angle of the duct opening to the road surface, and the total degree of bends in the duct determine the effectiveness.Snorkels make no difference one way or the other. Everything I read was pretty much against them because they would add cost to the setup.
i kinda figgured thats how itd be, i wasnt sure if there was a point that you could put the duct out completely. But either way, is there a way you could put some sort of a collar at the end of that, so that it would be able to gather air from a larger area and funnel it into there?

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Thanks.I was using a Volant setup with the air ram and had no real issues w/ rain. As far as snow, I plan on running the Edelbrock foam filter like the one below in the cooler months. BTW, though it will have no potential for the ram effect,that filter flows better than the 14x3 round I am using now. The K&N 14x3 flows a little over 791 cfm. The Edelbrock flows 1000 cfm. A 52mm tb flows around 972 cfm (50mm flows 866). The potential exists for a bottleneck, though with my setup I doubt one really exists. For anyone interested, according to K&N, their filter media flows 6 cfm/sq in. as measured on the outer surface.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/5DEA8F7E531D4BEB9277DECFA14F1858.jpg[/IMG]
iv run that all winter, its a very good choice. As for the summer, i still have yet to find out how bad it will be. Iv already encountered one hot and extreemly humid jersey day, and you could tell a big diffrence. I too would like to get the ramairbox.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Bigschwerm

i spent just around 80.00 bucks on my ram air....got it off ebay very similar to the ram air box just alot alot cheaper just had to get some nice aluminum 4" tubing from the hardware store...i originally used some dryer ducting just to see how it work all fit....here is a link to the housing i won....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducte...QQcmdZViewItem
That's the one I was looking for when I found the kit that I have. That one might be a better design. It looks as though sealing it would be alot easier.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup and works great I found. (ran same one 4yrs) Before installing my Procharger I added gauges and on the highway at 70+mph it would show up to 3/4psi boost with the ramairbox sealed well.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When working with air intakes
it always pays to keep coming back to the
"foundations"
that if the MAP sensor doesn't read higher
and the IAT sensor doesn't read lower
there was no real performance improvement

Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 AM
radwebster
Captain

i hope you don't really plan on gaining any actual horsepower with this system. these little 'ram air' setups offer almost zero gains below certain speeds (usually around 60-70 mph), and ablve those speeds the gain is minimal at best. i have a 'vette' magazine that tested the same setup on a C5 corvette, and it gained less than 5 hp at 90 mph.
now with that straight path into your intake, you have to worry about debris clogging your filter and water soaking through to your combustion chamber.

having said that, it looks very nice and the installation was clean as well.

and is it just me, or does it seem that hankL adds an enormous amount of relevent, true, interesting information to every thread he posts in? thanks again hank, for another interesting read.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:17 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: radwebster

is it just me, or does it seem that hankL adds an enormous amount of relevent, true, interesting information to every thread he posts in? thanks again hank, for another interesting read.
You are not alone in thinking that

Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Bigschwerm
Professional

For the money i spent... i gained almost 8/10ths in the 1/8th mile thats a pretty good gain....i had the edelbrock foam filter on before i added my ram air setup....

Old 05-25-2007, 02:56 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

i hope you don't really plan on gaining any actual horsepower with this system. these little 'ram air' setups offer almost zero gains below certain speeds (usually around 60-70 mph), and ablve those speeds the gain is minimal at best. i have a 'vette' magazine that tested the same setup on a C5 corvette, and it gained less than 5 hp at 90 mph.
now with that straight path into your intake, you have to worry about debris clogging your filter and water soaking through to your combustion chamber.

having said that, it looks very nice and the installation was clean as well.

and is it just me, or does it seem that hankL adds an enormous amount of relevent, true, interesting information to every thread he posts in? thanks again hank, for another interesting read.
Thanks. As far as debris goes, I'm hoping anything large will be stopped by the grill. Before thisI ran the Volant with the air scoop or ram (forget what they call it) that had the snorkel positioned in the same place on the the passenger side. I never had any issues with water or debris. I did find a bug on the filter during one cleaning. As far as gains, I'm surethe cool air willyield more than the ram air part, although I have read where people have gained from the ram effect aside from the two posts on this thread. I would think to accurately test hp gains, you would have to find a dyno inside of a wind tunnel. I don't think a couple of fans blowing on the grill would cut it.

BTW- I don't know if water will saturate orpass through an oiled filter- common sense says no but who knows - but, if it did,it would slightly boost power as well. It would also clean the combustion chambers.

MaybeIndy or Bigschwermwill chime back in andsay whether they have had issues with debris or water.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Ive mentioned in the past,ramair isnot for everyone, offroading especially.

For the rain to be an issue the conditions must be so bad it dangerous to drive. It only affected me once in the worst downpour I can ever remember driving in. 70mph on the highway andit started to lightly rain then a minute laterTHE FLOOD. I lost a bit of a power right before hydroplaning for 2seconds and getting a bit sideways before the tires would bite again. Almost bought it that day. My trucks lowered 2x4 and was ducted from the foglights at the time. Any other time in the rain its been fine. Offroadwould beanother matter.

Debris - In the city debris is not an issue. If you live in the country and have lots of bugs at dusk certain times of the year then you are in for more maintenance.

Performance - As Bigswherm mentioned he saw .8 seconds off 1/8 mile.That is ahuge et reduction. His motor is well built so he would see abigger gain. Someone with a modest setup could realisticly see about .35-.45 seconds off. In my case I was getting about .55 seconds off. my ets (1/4m) back then(my first setup mild top end/stk hds)
I had the open 14" K&N fipk before the ramairbox and used the same filter and saw .2 off 1/4mile ets. My60' times were the exact same but 330' and 1/8m a bit faster so that means it was making more hp from about 40mph with the exact same filter inside the box.
My trap speeds increased from 92-93mph to 94-95mph. Hp gains show as increased mph threw the traps.

Never seen the article you mentionbutdid a search and found info to the contrary at corvettemagazine.com. Breatheless Ramair kit for a 97/98 C5 produced 21hp/20trq on the dyno without the ramair affecting #s. On the 1/4mile the ets dropped by .35 seconds on a stock C5. Sounds to me like ramair works fine. BTW, the C5 ramair setup is much smaller than our "little" ram air setups. With about 50-75% larger duct opening and much bigger filter should have very good results on a Ram.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...amair/ram2.asp