2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end trauma

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 AM
jskepler_03
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end trauma

Frustrated as hell and don't know where to turn, got an '01 1500 with a Corporate 9.25 LD, Anti-Spin Diff, 4.10 gears.
3 weeks ago was time to change diff fluid and found metal on the magnet, (got lucky, coulda been real bad with a few more miles)... first thought was bearing, and one was loose and had some pieces missing, ordered new bearings from local parts store, got the rest of the diff torn apart and found that what look like thrust bearings (clutch pack I'm assuming) are shot and in pieces.
Well farming got hectic and this had to get pushed to the back burner, then last week I called the local Dodge dealer, they ordered what they thought was the right parts, wrong, gave em VIN and everything, they keep tryin to tell me it's a 3/4 ton axle, I know it's not, so told em to go to hell and learn something other than a computer screen, called the next closest dealer, told me same thing. Finally called my dad's diesel mechanic buddy and he's workin on it now, and having trouble still. He asked how many splines were on the were on the shaft, 27 or 29, went and counted 31. He's still looking and certain he can find the right parts. I'm just frustrated as hell and wondering if anyone has any info that could help or point me in the right direction, or if I've overlooked something.
Thanks in advance guys.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 AM
94Champ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear end trauma

Call Randy's Ring and Pinion,you can get their # from their website,they can "overnite" you a complete set of clutch packs for around $70 total.I keep a complete set in the shop for my truck.They are notorious for going out. He will know exactly what you are talking about as he sells tons of them for the Dodges.I do not know the axle spline count on a 3/4 ton but my 9.25 is 31.

Quick Reply: rear end trauma