2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing and OD...I know but it is a different question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing and OD...I know but it is a different question

All specs are in my sig

I pull a 18 ft car trailer with a jeep and I know to take off the OD when pulling that.....but what about an 18 ft. boat thatweighs about 2400 lbs. Do I need to also leave the OD off even with 4.10 gears?

Brad

Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: towing and OD...I know but it is a different question

I tow a pop-up camper that weighs just a little less than your boat. Both have minimal wind resistance. I let my truck shift into OD when I'm on straight, flat stretches of the interstate and I have reached cruising speed, 60 - 65 mph. You can't accelerate quickly when in OD and you need to start stepping on the gas before you start up any hills. If I'm coming up on a steep hill, I'll turn the OD off before the hill so the truck doesn't have to downshift when I'm hard on the accelerator.

Remember that the Overdrive is just what the name implies. It's a highway gear that you shift into for cruising. If you aren't in that situation, especially when towing, leave it locked out. But it won't hurt the truck to use it when hauling a light, low wind resistant load like your boat.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Thank you...yeah I would only use it on the interstate at cruising speeds.

Brad

Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a pop-up that ways 1785 lbs unloaded. I do exactly as Ash described until I get into the mountains. Then OD is off pretty much the rest of the time.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
rollerstud98
Rookie

while towing you can use OD unless your truck will be constantly hunting for a gear, thats when the tranny gets to hot, even with your car hauler you could probably get away with OD if you arent in the hills all the time

Old 06-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Kev250R

Mainly because of the bad rep. the tranny's in these trucks have I leave mine locked-out of O/D whenever I tow either my 1,200 LBS pop-up trailer or my ~3K (loaded) car trailer. Maybe I'm being too cautious but even when I'm towing the car trailer around town empty (like taking it to or from where I store it) I leave the truck locked-out of O/D.

--Kevin

Quick Reply: towing and OD...I know but it is a different question