2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear differential cover leaking need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:29 PM
72sscott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear differential cover leaking need some help.

Hey guys new to the forum and was hoping i could get a little help. I have a 2001 1500 and yesterday noticed my rear end cover was leaking a bit. After further inspection it looks to be coming out of the rubber plug in the cover and not the gasket. I am clueless as to why this would happen the truck only has 50k miles. I did a search on the forums and found a few posts regarding a "vent tube" being plugged causing the rear to leak. Where is this tube located and what should i look for? Should i maybe rtv the plug? What gear oil do i use to fill it? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear differential cover leaking need some help.

i have a 97 that does the same thing i just rtv'd all around it and has been good to go since

Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

vent tube is attached to drivers side axle tube above the shock mount, and its also the brake line splitter point. vent hose should be attached with clamp and go up above the spare tire and have a check valve on the end. the check valve's job is to let pressure out and keep water out.

its a good idea to change your differential oil annually as water can get in and it will ruin bearings leading to big $$$ repairs. happened to my brother in law. i tend to get water in my front, but not the rear.

do this... park truck level, put drain pan under diff, remove your rubber plug, being careful not to get any dirt in the hole. gently clean the plug, especially the sealing groove. carefully wipe the diff hole clean on outside and inside and don't let dirt, grease, gunk fall in the hole. oil level should be just under the hole, so if oil wants to run out, then its overfull so let it run out. get the oil level right. oil the groove in the rubber plug and reinstall. if it continues to leak just buy a new plug. consider draining and changing diff oil annually. its not hard.
see this site for most all routine jobs you will need to learn. its got a great library.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/diff.php

Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM
72sscott

Cool ty guys for the replies. What type oil do i use in the differential? I know there are different types just wanna make sure i get the right stuff. Thanks again.

Scott

Old 06-03-2007, 02:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i used vavoline from autozone i think it was 85W90 GL-5. 75w-90, 80w-90, or 90w are also fine as there is no difference. its about $4-5/qt and it takes about 2 - 2.5 qts. some people will recommend synthetics but those are REAL expensive, especially if you change it regularly, and i think its a waste of money.

if you have a Limited Slip, you'll need to add an 8oz (?) bottle of friction modifier. also at a.z.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 AM
72sscott

Thanks alot Dh gettin the stuff tomorrow

Scott

Old 06-03-2007, 11:51 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

tips..
if possible use black rtv sealant for cover gasket. red and blue are sort of dorky looking.
if possible its nice to put the truck up on jack stands so you can rotate gears and inspect everything - but maintain level for proper drain/fill. (also admire the concept of the spider gears. they were invented by a genius.) don't pinch fingers
spray brake cleaner into the bottom of the pumpkin to break up the sludge. it wont hurt it as long as it all drains out and evaporates. also real good for cleaning the cover and diff surface. i sprayed everything.
there is a magnet in the bottom. its supposed to be there.
when breaking the cover loose, you will likely need to drive a flat screwdriver or putty knife between cover and casting to get it apart. be gentle and don't bend it up or gouge up the diff casting. if you do have a gouge, file it down smooth or it might leak.
when i changed mine for the first time at 5yrs and 120k miles it STUNK. additional regular changes are not near as stinky, but don't get it on your clothes or shoes, don't get it in the HOUSE or inside the TRUCK. don't pour it out anywhere you'll have to smell it. don't bring drain pan inside.
cover bolts are small - so don't overtighten or you'll break them. haynes says 35#. i say no way stop at about 15. i also put a little rtv on threads to prevent back-out. if one breaks when you take them out, just drill it out and use an ez out. it happens.
check your diff for possible 'limited slip' option - it needs an additional friction modifier. if you're not familar with this do some searches for how to identify.
edit... here are some pics of an open diff.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_697667/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
https://dodgeforum.com/m_717374/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Rear differential cover leaking need some help.