2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Re-wiring the eBay projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Lightninram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re-wiring the eBay projectors

I think I seen some guys on DTW running HIDs with the projectors. I will see what they say about heat problems.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Lightninram

From what I have seen there is no relays for the headlights. The sport dodges have a quad beam relay. I don't have that relay since mine is an SLT. I seen on DTW that there were 2 ways. One with a relay, the other you drop the steering column cover find 2 wires and put the $.11 crimp connector on them and then you have quad high beams.

Also a guy is running a 4600k hid kit in his ebay projectors and hasn't had a problem with heat.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
zique
Captain

ORIGINAL: Lightninram

From what I have seen there is no relays for the headlights. The sport dodges have a quad beam relay. I don't have that relay since mine is an SLT. I seen on DTW that there were 2 ways. One with a relay, the other you drop the steering column cover find 2 wires and put the $.11 crimp connector on them and then you have quad high beams.

Also a guy is running a 4600k hid kit in his ebay projectors and hasn't had a problem with heat.
That's good stuff to know. Any way you could figure out what two wires need to get crimped?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Lightninram

My bad it wasn't on DTW it was on here. Here is the quote.

ORIGINAL: bamory

Found this while surfing the net, tried it and it works great, makes all four bulbs burn at once for an extremely bright drive at nite

Possibly a new solution to an old problem.<br><br>I wanted to have my low beam lights to stay on when switching to high beams. I was poised with pen in hand getting ready to write a check for a Brite Box. Then I remembered that I was an electrical engineer and should be able to do this myself. I located the schematic for the lighting circuit in the manual and found out how it works. A simple procedure will eliminate the need for the Brite Box. There are those who will say that the light switch can't handle the current of both filaments being on at the same time. I have a 2002 so my switch maybe different than earlier years. I did, however, perform this modification to a friend's 2001 without any problems at all. To do the mod, remove the panel below the steering column. This will expose a bundle of wires coming from the multifunction switch as well as the horn, cruise control, etc. The wires of interest on my 2002 as well as my friend's 2001 are light green and violet with a white stripe. There are two light green wires. Make sure of the one you need before doing the mod. I used a piercing circuit tester light and found the correct light green wire by grounding the tester and piercing each light green wire and watching which wire caused the tester light to go on and off when the light switch was turned on and off. Having located the correct wires, I used a wire tap connector to short these two wires together. The wire tap is designed to allow you to connect a new wire to an existing circuit. In other words, one side of the tap goes all the way through and the other dead ends. Take a knife and cut the dead end plastic out so that both wires can go all the way through. Place both the light green wire and the violet with white stripe wire in the tap and press it home with pliers. Be careful not to short the pliers to ground while doing this. I used a dab of dielectric grease in the tap just to be safe from corrosion later on. What this mod does is simply short across the low beam disconnect contacts of the multifunction switch. This will make the low beam filaments light as long as the light switch is turned on with the multifinction switch in either high or low beam position. I can now see the road better and it cost me $0.11 instead of $95.00. Questions are welcome.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM
zique
Captain

Awesome, I'll be doing this today probably and let you know how it turns out!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Lightninram

Please let me know which green wire it is. There are 2 in there. One has power when the headlight switch is off and when you turn the switch on the power goes away. The other from what I seen had no power when the switchwas on or off. Let me know what you come up with. Also screw taking the dash apart. Lay and look up from the floorboard. there is the wad of wires comming down from the column. Alot easier to get to from there instead of in the column.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Lightninram

Did you get around to doing this Z?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
zique
Captain

Yep, sure did. Worked like a charm! There are actually 4 lt. green wires. Two have colored stripes on them, ignore that. With the two that are left, you will notice that one is a slightly larger guage wire...that's the one! Simple tap and voila! Took me about 4.5 minutes, 3 of which was involved in taking the three screwes from the bottom of the moulding and putting it back on after.

BTW, it's not a HUGE deal if you accidently tap the wrong wire. You will just notice that your left blinker sticks on when you turn your lights on. By using the tap, you don't affect the wire any more than you did stabing it with the voltage tester. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Lightninram

Cool deal will do that tommorrow. Thanks man.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Lightninram

Got any pics of them. I will get some of mine when I get it done.

Quick Reply: Re-wiring the eBay projectors