2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

does my truck....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 PM
james ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does my truck....

have an LSD?

how can i tell? would there be a code in the VIN or anything? i looked for tags on the diff cover and axle but i didnt find anything on the rear.... there was a DANA stamp on the front and a tag with a bunch of numbers but over the years, it got hard to read.

99 Ram Sport 4x4 5.2

Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: does my truck....

Call your local parts dept with the VIN and askif it is the open or limited slip rear.(If they get ****ty, tell 'em you want to know so you get the right parts when you order them from them.BS 'em a little if you have to.)
The axle codes off of the front will do nothing for you as the fronts NEVER have limited slip.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
james ram

ORIGINAL: GMsucks

Call your local parts dept with the VIN and askif it is the open or limited slip rear.(If they get ****ty, tell 'em you want to know so you get the right parts when you order them from them.BS 'em a little if you have to.)
The axle codes off of the front will do nothing for you as the fronts NEVER have limited slip.
not a bad idea....

i knew the front was open but it seemed strange to me that the front cover would have stampings and the rear would be blank...

Old 09-23-2004, 08:38 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

I know on my '04, there is a plug going into the top of the "pumpkin" that controls the LSD....Yours may be different, but a plug going into the top is a good clue.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:48 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: adamsredlines

I know on my '04, there is a plug going into the top of the "pumpkin" that controls the LSD....Yours may be different, but a plug going into the top is a good clue.
HUH??? No, the plug on top of your differential has nothing to do with limited slip, that is the wheel speed sensor for the ABS. The only vehicle DCX builds with anything going into the diff to control locker operation is the Wrangler with air lockers.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

Stomp on it when you are taking off at a corner, WHERE YOU CAN SAFELY, see if the tire inside the turn spins...and there you go. If it does then you got LSD, if not you have anti-slip.

Quick Reply: does my truck....