2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS & Brake Light "ON" Speedometer working sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Buc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS & Brake Light "ON" Speedometer working sometimes

I looked around on the forums and found a few topics on this but nothing conclusive. The other morning I started my truck and the ABS & brake light have been on since. The speedometer works at cruise but not under 35mhp or so.

From what Ive read on the forums it appears I may have a faulty sensor on the rear end. Brake Fluid levels are fine and the brakes still work as if nothings wrong.

Anyone have any experience as to how I change this sensor or determine if it is indeed the issue?
Is this called a speed sensor?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 PM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: ABS & Brake Light "ON" Speedometer working sometimes

I would concur that you have a bad rear wheel speed sensor.
I'd say replaced it. It is about $40.00 from NAPA and it takes about 5 minutes to change. It is bolted to the top of your rear differential and has a 2 pin connector plugged into it.

Basically it is a magnet that reads how fast thetone ring in the rear diff is turning and then communcates this info back to your PCM and the ABS and Spedometer (certain years) are both effected by a faulty sensor.

It is an extremely common condition on all Rams to have this sensor fail, especially if it has been '"Mudded, or used in water crossings".

Let us know if that fixes it for you.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
edwardree

I had the samw problem on my 98 Ram 2500. I took it to a local mechanic that said the ABS computer was bad. I went to the junk yard and got another computer. This did not fix the problem. Then I found this post so I replaced the speed sensor. Both lights went out but now the speedometer stays at about 5 mph until I let off the gas and then it goes up to about 25. Any idea what else is wrong?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

1= have the rear brakes been adjusted latley??

2=have you drivin in a lot of high water??

3=there may be a scanner to rwad the abs unit...

if they (drums) have not been adjusted, the rear cyl may be over extended causing a loss in pressure. it does happen.

(I do not know if you have drums or disk in the rear.)

my abs light engaged the other day. the strap that holds the massa cyl cover on was loose.. so I has to drimp the darn thing a bit snugger. if it happens again, Ill get a new massa cyl (life time warranty-its a replacement)

Quick Reply: ABS & Brake Light "ON" Speedometer working sometimes