2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'99 Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 AM
BlueBell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Radio Replacement

My factory CD/Cassette Player keeps showing ERR everytime I put in a CD, so I guess need to replace it. On eBay all I can find is newer factory models. Will the newer models fit? They kind of look the same...obviously I have no clue...if not, then what is a good/cheap replacement? Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 AM
jram99
Veteran
Default RE: '99 Radio Replacement

Are you using CD's you burned yourself? I have that same problem when I tried to burn my own on the CDRW disc. Mine will only play the CDR's. If it not the media, you might want to look at the Pioneer stereo's. Pioneer has a couple of modles that will fit right in the factory opening.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 AM
BlueBell

I tried 4 different CDs to make sure it wasn't the actual CD.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Pyromanaron
Professional

Replacing it isn't real bad, just frustrating. Go ahead and get everything to install subs/amps in case you want them later, so you don't have to pull everything apart again.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

New models wont work. Get a cheap kenwood or pioneer unit. Clarion can be had for pretty cheap 2.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get a nice aftermarket unit. go to best buy or similar and look at what is available. decide what you want... single cd, changer, satellite, ipod aux, new speakers, amp, sub, etc. nice simple basic head units can be had for about $100 or less. also see crutchfield.com. you'll also need a dash kit and a wiring harness adapter eases the install. decide how you want to go about the install. self, friend, shop. sometimes best buy will do a free install. if you've got the install covered, you can find new and used electronics on ebay at low prices. i was able to buy $110 speakers for 50 (new in box), $150 amp for 40 (used), and saw my $120 pioneer avail for $40 (used). check the a/v subforum here for pics and stories.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Captain Pioneer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also advise you rather than trying to cut the old wiring harness and soldering them together or taping them... which might i add can be quite a pain in the ***.. Go for the Metra connect kits which automatically adapt from the old factory harness to the Pioneer/Clarion/Alpine/ or they have most brands for the conversion... Yes it costs a couple bucks more, but if you are really looking for a quick connect and disconect then its the only way to fly

Quick Reply: '99 Radio Replacement