2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

If you had to pick ONE..Which flows better: Open filter or CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: If you had to pick ONE..Which flows better: Open filter or CAI?

ORIGINAL: 2001dodgeram1500

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

ORIGINAL: Damian

Silver dodge, do tell the reason you run the round filter
I like how it looks for one. Second, it is extremely easy to work on, and around. Third, it sounds neat. And last but not least, it performs better then any other air intake I have tried.
where do i get one of these round air filters ?
got a site or something maybe www.summitracing.com
Read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_613741/tm.htm

Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as power goes, open element gets the most airflow, BUT make sure the temperature conditions are appropriate. If its too hot or humid its gonna run like dog dookie in compairison to a cold air intake...scratch that, a ram air intake. most of the "cold air" intakes are just pipes that pick up boxed in hot air from some other place in the engine bay. I run an open element filter, it really helps out a BIG bit when the weather is decent, but on a hot day like today(95) you can notice that its just suckin in hot expanded air and killin power. Id swear by my eddie, but for the summer time, and as far as higher speed goes, id have to say go with a ram air setup. (though I have not had one for the ram, iv used them on my other vehicles, and they paid big dividends. I dont have one yet, but I will as soon as I can allot funds for one)

this is the one I run. even in the summer, id still prefer it to the factory box

http://www.ramairbox.com/
this is the ram air box I intend to get.

as for how it looks, I think it looks very snazzy.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
zique
Captain

ORIGINAL: 2001dodgeram1500

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Silver dodge, do tell the reason you run the round filter
I like how it looks for one. Second, it is extremely easy to work on, and around. Third, it sounds neat. And last but not least, it performs better then any other air intake I have tried.
where do i get one of these round air filters ?
got a site or something maybe www.summitracing.com
I've got one I'll sell ya. https://dodgeforum.com/m_853348/mpag.../tm.htm#853348

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I like the old school look myself, but I also believe in functional modding. I do things to my vehicle that work the most efficient, but maybe not always look the best

I appreciate all the input. Keep 'em coming.
Old school isgood, but remember that over the years automotive engineers have been able to achieve more power with less cubic inches even with all of the emissions regulations andfuel consumption standards that the government has put on them. With ampi motor, the cooler the air you can get down the tb the more power you will have. Period. It's just a fact. Go to a car lot and start opening up hoods on new cars. See how many have snorkelspulling air from outside the engine bay. I have had sixDodges (still have five) manufactured after 2000, and they all had snorkels in there stock configuration. Why?

Open filters, whether they be the Eddy above or the round ones, look better and yieldmore room for maintenance than anything else. Also, when you consider that the hot air is going to pull fuel and timing out of the motor, they may give better mileage, though I don't have any personal experience or info to back that idea up.

this is the ram air box I intend to get
You'll love it. Short of induction with an intercooler, I think this is the best setup out there.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: mopowar

I like the old school look myself, but I also believe in functional modding. I do things to my vehicle that work the most efficient, but maybe not always look the best

I appreciate all the input. Keep 'em coming.
Old school isgood, but remember that over the years automotive engineers have been able to achieve more power with less cubic inches even with all of the emissions regulations andfuel consumption standards that the government has put on them. With ampi motor, the cooler the air you can get down the tb the more power you will have. Period. It's just a fact. Go to a car lot and start opening up hoods on new cars. See how many have snorkelspulling air from outside the engine bay. I have had sixDodges (still have five) manufactured after 2000, and they all had snorkels in there stock configuration. Why?

Open filters, whether they be the Eddy above or the round ones, look better and yieldmore room for maintenance than anything else. Also, when you consider that the hot air is going to pull fuel and timing out of the motor, they may give better mileage, though I don't have any personal experience or info to back that idea up.

You'll love it. Short of induction with an intercooler, I think this is the best setup out there.
well shoot, if we all pitched in dodge forum could buy me a s/c with an intercooler

Old 06-20-2007, 09:40 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mopowar

With ampi motor, the cooler the air you can get down the tb the more power you will have. Period. It's just a fact.
[sm=signs007.gif]
https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/58523...D1B44625B0.jpg

Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 AM
RamGoat

Guys' I've got the 8.0 V10. Is some sort of 14x3 even an option for me? Or is a CAI my only option besides something like a K&N drop-in filter? Reason I ask is cause while my TB is on the top of the engine it's not facing up.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
99Ram4x4

This just does not make sense to me. Why are fuel injection performance kits even sold if a standard round air filter gives more performance? There are dyno sheets out there all over the place for the fipk but I can't find any on the round air filter.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 99Ram4x4

This just does not make sense to me. Why are fuel injection performance kits even sold if a standard round air filter gives more performance? There are dyno sheets out there all over the place for the fipk but I can't find any on the round air filter.
Because CAI's are all the rage, and people think if it is from K&N, it must be good.

I would never trust a dyno sheet from the maker of the product. Not saying they would lie (which i'm sure some do), but they test under very controlled conditions, and give you the results of only their best runs. That just simply doesn't translate to real world conditions. For example, when it is 95 degrees out, or when your at 8000ft above sea level, or when it is 90% humidity. Conditions like that are far different that the conditions they tested in their test labs. Just because they got an increase of 15hp in their test really doesn't mean you will ever see that same increase under the conditions you test in (i.e. daily use).

Quick Reply: If you had to pick ONE..Which flows better: Open filter or CAI?