2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling and Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
txsigns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling and Starting problems

Ihave a 98 ram 1500 quad cab with a 360 in it.. and here is my problem.. when started cold it will sometime start right up and at other times it acts like the starter is not engaging. It just clicks when trying to start and you have to turn the key off and on until it engages and then at times it runs and idles just fine.. but when you are sitting at an idle for a period of time....it stalls it does not matter ifyou are running the AC or not.When trying to start itI have towork the accelerator, it acts like it is starving for fuel. Once I get it going it runs like a bat out of *ell.Cruise control.. passing gear .. works fine.. Once in a while my check engine light comes on but does not show any codes. After checking for codes....the check engine light goes out without clearing the computer.It must be magic.....LOL!!! Anyway, I don't want to go replacing parts guessing what may be wrong. The fuel pump is not cheap, if that is what is causing my problems.
I am stumped with these problems...........HELP!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stalling and Starting problems

Start with the easy/free stuff 1st. Take your battery terminals off. Brush them, lube them, and reinstall. Then do the same at the starter. Key start clicking indicates a bad connection. That can also make everything else screw up too; i.e. injectors, coil, etc. Also, test the battery with a load tester (generally free at auto parts stores).
WC

Quick Reply: Stalling and Starting problems