2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:49 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plz help

hello all .. i know im in the wrong part of the forum.. but the caravan section doesnt seem to have a whole lotta traffic compared to this one.. and you guys help me out pretty good here.. so here goes...

just brought home my new (to me) caravan yesterday.. its the the 3.0 in it.. drove it all afternoon after i bought it.. ran fine.. no problems.. other than the torque converter code it spits out on the c/e light.. but i got about a block away from home with it.. and took off from the stop sign and it 'gave out' almost like i shut it off and turned it back on quick.. thought maybe a fluke.. but no.. while i was pulling in my driveway .. it died.. hasnt ran since.. i put a new fuel pump and filter in it.. because i was barely getting any fuel at the rail.. now i get lots of it.. steady flow.. good pressure.. but it STILL wont start.. i checked spark.. all plugs get spark.. i was thinking fuel pressure regulator.. but i am being told it is in the tank.. on the pump.. in which i just replaced.. and it appears it came with a new one already.. they were identical.. i am getting +12v at the pump when the key is cranked.. not sure what to do now.. or where to go.. when i go to start it.. it fires.. tries to go it acts like.. then no dice.. any ideas would help me out a great deal.. thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 06:08 PM
dnfd737
Veteran
Default RE: plz help

any other codes in the computer?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know the year, engine (3.0V6?) but anyway try these.
1 Faulty Crank Sensor. Don't know where it would be on that vehicle.
2 Idle Air Control clogged or the IAC motor is shot. Clogging is the less likely in my opinion because it would have run crappily prior to dying completely. Seems possibly electrical, i.e. bad connection, broken wire...
WC

Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank sensor
cam position sensor
If you are getting plenty of fuel to the rail, can't be in the tank still.
How do the plugs look, fuel soaked?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would have to say crank shaft sensor. my started to crap out on the ride home one night. truck began to idle funny and almost wanted to die. got it home and the next morning it would crank and crank but not fire. also it would back fire into the throttle body. found out to be the crank sensor. 106.00 to replace.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

sorry.. its a 1999 caravan 3.0 v-6 ... i have also replaced plugs.. and wires.. fuel pump... fuel filter... got 12v @ pump.. in my opinion it is now getting fuel.. where as it wasnt before.. BUT.. i was also thinking cam sensor as well.. my 96 stratus i used to have the cam sensor was bad and it would intermittantly cut off.. and it acted like that.. but it always set for a bit and then would run good for a while.. this one died.. came back to life.. w/o me starting it.. it just fired itself right back up while i was moving.. just like the cam sensor would do.. then it died in the driveway.. i got it started earlier.. ran super super rough.. and i smelled fuel.. give it too much gas tried to die.. let off gas.. it died.. only codes the c/e is throwing is the P0743 = Torque Converter Circuit Electrical .... im really hoping htis thing hasnt thrown a valve or something.. i hate to have to take it into the shop.. but it looks thats what im going to have to do... any other ideas as to where to go.. what to check.. i have no idea where the iac motor is.. or where to check if its clogged.. or where the crank sensor is on this thing.. so if anyone knows and can tell me how to test them would be greatful.. also .. when i DID have it running.. rough as it was.. sounded like it was pulling in ALOT of air thru the filter.. very loud almost want to say i might have heard a tiny backfire or two.. thanks again

Old 06-24-2007, 01:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just a few ideas...
you need fuel, spark, compression, and timing.
you've got fuel as far as the rail - so thats good. you might try removing one or two plugs and cranking it over to make sure you have fuel coming out the injectors. one way is to check for wet plugs, another is to look for wet spray coming out the plug holes, a more exciting way is to hold a butane camp/grill lighter at the hole (but don't catch yourself on fire).
spark - with a plug removed, plug wire attached, ground it while you crank it over and check for spark.
compression is probably good, unless you've got pistons hanging out the oil pan.
timing is affected by the crank and cam position sensors, also timing belt. if all else is well, this is probably where your problem lies. sorry, i have no idea where those sensors are.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

ok.. i think im leaning towards the crankshaft position sensor.. i got it pulled.. it looks to be ok.. besides a little rubbing on the paper spacer between the crankshaft and the sensor.. anyone know of any way to test a crankshaft position sensor? ?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

ok.. i lied.. i dont think it is the crank position sensor.. i took it out.. looks good.. stuck finger in the hole and crankshaft is turning good.. i have the feeling its electrical somewhere.. this is what happened to day with it.. not only will it not start.. my dash went dead.. guages.. lights everything.. also.. headlights were out.. wouldnt come on .. kicked the key a few times.. it all came back.. just wont start.. headlights came back on.. dash came back on.. just wont start.. any ideas.. or does it look like the computer is gone in it

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

i work at dodge... and i absolutely hate these things!!!!
lol sorry
i relaced an entire PCM the other day in one that had the same issues...
ran fine-fixed
could also be the BCM-body control module for the electrical problems also. everything is tied together.
if u ask me straight up... PCM