2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP REAR END NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
greenie4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP REAR END NOISE!

i have a 2000 ram 1500 4x4 with 115k and it started to make a clunking noise when i hit bumps in the road, i shook the bed sideways back and forth and found the noise is coming from the rear wheels on both sides, i jacked up both sides and checked the wheel lugs,they are tightbut the wheel has a little play in it up and down,like when you check your ball joints ,both sides. is this a bearing issue? i dont hear any grinding noise. i just got the last payment in, cant win with this truck.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 AM
DSM_Dan
Default RE: HELP REAR END NOISE!

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing issue, or rear stab bar end links or something to that effect. We had a newer explorer come in the shop today with both rear wheel bearings shot, the wheel had quite a bit of play in it.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be the bushings in the shocks are worn and shrunk. Mine are. You can actually see a gap between the bushing and the lower mount.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
greenie4

the noise is from the axle i can move the wheel in and out to make the noise, i was hoping it was shocks but its in the rear end, sounds like the wheel bangs up against the brake drum

Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a c-clip axle. There is a little bit of play in and out (in all the way, out against the c-clip).

Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
greenie4

why would it make noise only now? how can i inspect the bearings.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its normal for the axles to slide in/out some. that generally doesn't cause a clunk while driving. axle bearing would generally cause a roar, not a clunk. to inspect them you jack up, remove tires, remove diff cover, remove lock bolt and pin (i think), keep screwing around and eventually pull the c-clips, and the axles will slide out. don't mess up the seals out at the ends or you'll have to replace them.

its probably your shock bolts/bushings wallered out. or something like a spare tire loose and banging around.

Quick Reply: HELP REAR END NOISE!