2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
bribo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing A/C

Hey everyone, I'm about sick of my A/C not working and I want to remove it ALL! I had my "firestone" friend re-charge it and check for leaks, etc. It worked for about a week, then I relized that my compressor was not engaging, so instead of spending $$$$$ on a new one "when I rarley ever use it" or waiting for it to lock up and snap my belt, I want to remove it.

I've never done this, nor do I know where to start. Any ideas, is labor a bitch, any computer issues I need to worry about?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Removing A/C

Are you sure you want to throw the baby out with the bath water?
Do you know for certain that the WHOLE system is bad? The problem you describe sounds like a simple clutch problem, either the gap or electrical. Unless there is something you're not mentioning, I wouldn't condemn the whole system for a faulty a/c clutch. Think resale value for the future. Even a non-working a/c system would have more value than a ripped out one for someone that wanted to get it working. I would think twice about this move. BTW, try this. Start the truck, turn on the a/c and if the clutch does NOT engage, whack it with a hammer, wrench, pipe, etc. Actually, just tap it firmly. If the compressor engages, it's a simple gap problem.
WC

Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Truck Ram ROD
Rookie

i have taken the A/C off of a vehicle before but it did not work at all, what i did wasi left the compressor on took every wire off if it and cut every line and took the rad out in the front
but if the system still holds freon then i would leave it for the next person to worry about
i have never seen a compressor seize up when it was not in use
it would just act as a pully for the belt

Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
bribo
Rookie

Well, the compressor will engage, then after a couple mins stop blowing cold air. I open the hood with the truck running and the "part" that is supposed to be spinning isnt, so I stick a flathead down there and it starts spinning again. 5 mins later driving down the street it starts blowing warm again.

Firestone guy said that it's just as expensive to change the guts as it is to buy a new one(compressor). The A/C blows really cold and is holding coolant. If there is no risk of it locking up then I will not worry about it, but if anyone knows a a quick fix for the piece not engaging, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell, just run a belt without the A/C. Cheapest means to do it.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adjust the clutch gap. Remove the hub nut, move shims so that your gap is between .040 and .075. If the a/c blows cold when it does work, then the compressor is ok. No need to replace it or rebuild it (which they don't do very well). At worst you need a new clutch coil which involves "special tools" to replace. Best to let a shop do it. Not Firestone guy. At best you adjust your clutch for free and you're cool again.
WC

Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 PM
bribo
Rookie

Thx Wayne! I will start there

Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 AM
morrgriff
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bribo!
I've got a A/C bypass belt I'll trade you for your A/C system!!!!!!!! Even swap and I'll pay shipping!!!!!!!

Well, thought I'd try anyways......[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Quick Reply: Removing A/C