2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone running one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone running one of these?

I'll bet if you could get some cool air up there it would perform even better. Though,I guess in Colorado you don't have to worry about super hot andhumid air that many months out of the year. It's 98 degrees here today w/ like 90% humidity. Even with the Ram air, my truck is suffering.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on where in Colorado. On the frontrange and the plains, it regularly gets into the mid to upper 90's through most of july and august, and even into the 100's on some occasions. If you live in the mountains, you don't have quite the heat, but you can still see low 90's on occasions. Definetly nice not having the humidity though.

It was in the low 90's over the weekend, and I was hauling rock for a landscaping project I am doing at home (four loads of 1 ton each), and noticed no performance loss or "suffering" that I could tell. Truck ran great, even hauling the rock through town in stop/go traffic. I'm at 6800ft elevation, and humidity was close to zero. A/F stayed constant, and engine temp never rose above about 190-195. I keep hearing people say that these round filters will kill you in the high temps, but I have yet to see that happen with my truck, even when using it for more then just a daily driver. I plan to sell my FIPK because I have decided that I am not going back to any other type of air hat (was saving the FIPK incase the heat rumors were true).

The only time I have seen any performance loss that was noticable was when I went camping two weekends ago. I was pulling the camper (total weight of about 2500lbs, plus the bed was loaded, topper was on, and 4 passengers) up a pass that was over 9000ft. While still in the canyon, traffic got backed up. There was no air moving into the front of the truck (both because of the narrow canyon and the slow speeds), and we were on a very steep incline the whole way. Temps began to rise. Engine went to about 210, and the trans to about 230. Low end acceleration really really struggled during that time, and my A/F meter showed really rich. As soon as traffic got moving again, and we cleared the narrow canyon, temps went back down, and low end power returned. I doubt any other type of CAI would have made any difference in these conditions though.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

I do nothing but city driving ill do mayyybbbe 10 miles highway a month, would u guys suggest the open filter vs a cai?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:31 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I doubt any other type of CAI would have made any difference in these conditions though.
You are probably right. At the point that the engine starts to radiate heat outward ( like all around the truck ), it's not going to matter. That and sucking up burnt air from all that exhaust. I get heat soaked with my setup, but it's not as bad and the iat recovers alot quicker with the plenums connected than disconnected.

That's good the open filter works for you. I wish it did for me. I would definitely prefer to run one, butI can both feel the difference and seehow it f's my truck up on the scanner. It would especially be nice as of late. Every time I tighten the new header bolts through the heat cycles, I have to disconnect the plenums and tie them out of the way. It turns a five minute job into a fifteen minute job for sure.

Ideally, I'd really like a ram air hood with heat risers, but that would cost half a stroker kit.

Definetly nice not having the humidity though.
It sucks. Bad. A storm just rolled through and the humidity plummeted. Once it clears, I can go out and take a steam bath, and drink some air.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tazman6789

I do nothing but city driving ill do mayyybbbe 10 miles highway a month, would u guys suggest the open filter vs a cai?
For mpg, it's worth a shot. A revision of my earlier statement: From a performance standpoint, it 'should' adversely affect performance on a computer controlled mpi engine, but this is not always the case

Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I definetly hate humidity.

Around here, my nemisis is the altitude. I love fall and winter though, truck runs great in cold temps. Driving in the cold dry air all fall and winter almost makes up for the fact that I lose like 15% of my power by being at such a high altitude. In the summer when I take it up over 10,000 feet, you can feel how the lack of air pressure hurts the perfomance. Glad I don't live at those elevations perminantly.

I once had a Mustang GT that I drove cross country to Maryland. I couldn't believe how much more power it had once we got it down to sea level. It ran great compared to what it did at altitude.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock box on rite now and i think it doesnt matter if you are running open elm , ram air , stock , cai ....when its hot and humid out we all get a little slugish and our rams..lol

Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

I have the stock box on rite now and i think it doesnt matter if you are running open elm , ram air , stock , cai ....when its hot and humid out we all get a little slugish and our rams..lol
Amen to that.

On days like today, I'd surely sacrifice the performance of my vehicle for air that doesn't weigh 10 lbs. a cube.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so lets say we want more power annnnnnd heres the hook, better gas milage, my 11.3 mpg isnt great lol. Thennn what set up would u suggest?
This website says "This kit provides a 40-47%* gain in power, with a modest increase in gas mileage during normal driving conditions."

http://www.aaxel.com/Merchant2/merch...;Store_Code=AX

Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: lv360ram

so lets say we want more power annnnnnd heres the hook, better gas milage, my 11.3 mpg isnt great lol. Thennn what set up would u suggest?
This website says "This kit provides a 40-47%* gain in power, with a modest increase in gas mileage during normal driving conditions."

http://www.aaxel.com/Merchant2/merch...;Store_Code=AX
Thank you for showing me a S/C kit for less than 4k !!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone running one of these?