2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any way to get better mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
rhaines00ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to get better mileage ?

Just got a ram 5.2 4x4 and it likes gas lol well i was driving a ford ranger before 4 banger withno power this truck has alot of power but it likes the gas too. Its prity much stock. Any way to get better mileage out of it ? This is my first Dodge .

Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
THEGOLDPRO
Captain
Default RE: any way to get better mileage ?

yeah your pretty much screwed. i picked up a nice little 4 banger subie to kick around to save on gas.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of mpg are you getting ! a tune up mite work maybe open the exhaust syn fluids will do some.. this is no big # gain maybe 1 or 1.5 mpg better ..i get 15.5 city driving.... seen 16. 2 / 16.5...

Old 07-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Fox Fader
Captain

Beep beep!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 PM
rhaines00ram
Rookie

Im geting 13.5 ya I may need a tune up. Will a k&n air filter help my stock filter is nasty so i cant hurt

Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

If your air filty is that nasty and u drop a KN in there you will see a increase BUTTT you will see the same with a paper filter ..do a search on this silver running the round filter on is dodge and so far so good i guess , to get a good CAI you will spend some $$$ ...but first give it a good tune up and rember to use brass cap...

Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Yeah, I think gas mileage is just gonna suck, but I figured that was how it would be when I bought my truck. When I first got it a little over a month ago I thought I was getting 16-17 mpg with the 5.9, but after hand calculating and not going by the gasgauge I'm getting 13-14. I'm also running 305's with a 3 inch lift so I'm actually pretty happy with the mileage. The only things I have on it is a K&N CAI and dual exhaust. It's not my daily driver, so it's okay thatitdoesn't getgreat mileage.Good luck with any upgrades and hopefully you can increase yours a bit.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Typical MPG for a Ram is about 13
but driver behavior can vary this a lot:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html

The most cost effective hardware mod for improving MPG is low rolling resistance tires which can improve MPG by about 2

For short city trips use of an electric block heater while the truck is parked can help, especially during the first 5 miles.

If you do a lot of high speed highway driving aerodynamic mods like lowering suspensions, tonneaus, blocking off part of the grille, and various tricks to reduce the low pressue area behid the rear window and tailgate can be effective.

The following weblink is to a very LONG post with dozens of MPG improvement ideas. Not all are cost effective, but if you did them all your overall average might rise to 18 and your highway MPG at a steady 65 mph could go past 25.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_447500/tm.htm

Despite much false information that has been on TV and in newspapers,
in the USA's reserves of coal, the Green River oil shale rocks, the Berea oil shale rocks & methane hydrate off our coasts...we have enough to fuel vehicles for several hundred more years.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
lv360ram
Captain

ORIGINAL: HankL
Typical MPG for a Ram is about 13
but driver behavior can vary this a lot:
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html
The most cost effective hardware mod for improving MPG is low rolling resistance tires which can improve MPG by about 2
For short city trips use of an electric block heater while the truck is parked can help, especially during the first 5 miles.
If you do a lot of high speed highway driving aerodynamic mods like lowering suspensions, tonneaus, blocking off part of the grille, and various tricks to reduce the low pressue area behid the rear window and tailgate can be effective.

The following weblink is to a very LONG post with dozens of MPG improvement ideas. Not all are cost effective, but if you did them all your overall average might rise to 18 and your highway MPG at a steady 65 mph could go past 25.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_447500/tm.htm
Despite much false information that has been on TV and in newspapers,
in the USA's reserves of coal, the Green River oil shale rocks, the Berea oil shale rocks & methane hydrate off our coasts...we have enough to fuel vehicles for several hundred more years.
I think my truck has low rolling resistance tires because it has good "coastability". I don't lose much speed coasting down hills and I can let off the gas when I see a red light and coast a long way.
The article mentions drafting behind big rigs. The Mythbusters did a segment on the increase in mpg by drafting. They needed someone to drive a car close to the rear of a big rig going a steady speed in a controlled enviroment. It was so dangerous Kari, Tory, and Grant did rock paper sissors and the loser had to drive. Geez, it's really not that difficult....oops, uh I wouldn't know about that.[:-]
I also believe we will have enough petro, since all the politicians are talking aboutusing ethanol.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

no offence but i wouldent take the mythbusters results as a reliable scientific resource they also did one saying that tonneau covers hurt gas effency and so did removing the tail gate because the vortex created behind the cab is lost but ask most pepole here what happened when they try it and youll hear the oppsit...yah i see lots of flaws in there experments (one being they used a ford for the experiment)

Quick Reply: any way to get better mileage ?