2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple of q's (tranny, engine swapping, and gauge cluster)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 PM
StreetRiot_DRE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of q's (tranny, engine swapping, and gauge cluster)

ok let me start off by saying that im am new to trucks... i just want to know what kind of tranny is in anauto97 Ram 1500 5.9 Mag.???? i was offereda free truck from my dad if i put up the $$ to fix the suspension damage after a front accident (nothing major, i hope, good excuse to go with heavy duty off roading suspension [8D]) and most importantly i have to replace the tranny.....but i have not had any luck with finding usefull info, so i figured i would find a forum, now im here
[/align]
[/align]and i am just curious.....will a newer RAM hemi fit in my 97?? and would it be worth the swap??....also has any1 thought of converting the front end on an older ram to a newer ram??....ok ok let me stop im getting in over my head but please some help!!!! [/align][/align]and finally i was hopeing some1 might have some experience and can help me with my cluster....none of the gauge work and all of the warning lights are on, and where it should say the mileage it says "no bus"....wut could be wrong or wut should i check?? (fuse is good)[/align][/align]
[/align]thank you very much for your time and help
[/align]DRE

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: couple of q's (tranny, engine swapping, and gauge cluster)

most likely you have a 46re transmission. Get a build sheet from the dealership to make sure, all you'll need is your vin number and go to the dealership, or you can search here for a link to the website..might also try dodge.com. but i'm pretty sure if it is a 46re. converting to the 3rd gen has been brought up before and shot down many times. Becuase to make the headlights to look okay you'll need the bumper, to make the bumper look okay you'll need the fenders, to make the fenders look okay you'll need the doors. so on and so forth. Not cheap and or easy buy any means. The swap for the 5.7 hemi will be hard and time consuming to say the least. You'll need new motor mounts, a crossmember, different trans, transfercase, driveshafts, and all the little stuff you never think about. The no bus usually means there's no communication between the computer. Check your computer connections

Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with. spaz. I would also recommend doing a search on no bus. that will help you out with that. as far as changing the front end to a 3rd gen, stay away from that. just my 2 cents tho.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

Would I have a 46re as well ? I have a 96 Indy Ram.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are doing repairs to the front suspension and steering,
do some searches on:

Track Bar
Death Wobble
Clunk in steering

Read over some of the info here:

http://www.solidsteel.biz/

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

http://pss1.com/index.html

The 46RE automatic transmission has computer control of the line pressure by means of a VFS module inside the valve body. This began in model year 1996 after a previous model trans called the 518 or 46RH ran up to 1995.

Some people believe that the computer sets the line pressure too low for long life in the 46RE design. It certainly seems that 1996-2003 46RE problems gave those year Rams a reputation for short trans life.

The best info on the web for 46 series and its heavier duty cousins the 47 and 48 are at this Canadian company:

http://dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm

this article is a good starting spot:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Get your VIN and fill this out. Put "Build Sheet Request" at the top under Briefly describe. They get back to you usually pretty quick, like a day or so.

You say theres suspension damage to the front, but what exactly is damaged? Tie Rod, Sway Bar, Trac Bar, Coils, Shocks, Control Arms? If you don't know post up pics and we can tell you.

As for swapping in a HEMI, its doable but you need a good understanding of our trucks and FI systems. Is it really possible for an Amature? I say no, its more of a Novice job who is very experianced with wrenching and in comfortable with fabing up their own solutions to the many problems you'll encounter.

3rd Gen Front, more or less impossible because you'll need new fenders, hood, and more or less whole cab for it to look right.

As for "heavy duty offroading suspenion" what exactly do you have in mind....just a lift or what?

Quick Reply: couple of q's (tranny, engine swapping, and gauge cluster)