2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Touch-up paint, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 PM
RamGuy318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch-up paint, Help!

Well my truck has some big, and small paint chips, especially on the hood... now this weekend im going to go to an autobody place and they are going to mix me my paint color (color code PCH???) which i guess is a Brilliant Blue.. now my question is, how do i get it so it doesnt look like theres a paint chip? how many coats am i going to have to do and some of the spots on there are big but not too big. im getting 3-4 ounces of the paint from the shop for 20 bucks, they gurantee to match it. so any helpful tips, or anything would be great!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Trashlord
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Touch-up paint, Help!

do you have an air brush???

Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Touch-up paint, Help!

Get body putty and a squeege. Ask the body shop about these (also available at auto parts stores).You will use these to fill the chip. Lightly wet sand smooth with 400-600. Now add your color. Here is the problem especially with the blue metalic. Metalics are shot on under a constant regulated pressure. When you brush or dab on your touch-up color, you will NEVER duplicate the original metal flake. NEVER! No matter how perfect the color match is. Just a fact of life with metalics. More pressure buries the flakes; less brings them to the surface. Brushing ??? Unless you are using an airbrush then you MAY be able to duplicate. Anyway, then a few coats of clear. By this time the repair should be higher than the surrounding paint. Now you have to sand it down and polish level with the original paint.
Obviously this is a simplified outline of the procedure. But, depending on the extent of damage, its do-able.

Quick Reply: Touch-up paint, Help!