2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are these any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 AM
wayneo360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are these any good?

i need new shocks and was wondering if these would be good to switch out my stock ones with.. dont plan on lifting and just want to replace the stock ones.. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

nd they also say rear on the description so can i still buy 4 and use them on the front too.. if anyone has any other sugestions on different shocks then feel free to share with me.. thanks

also i need a new steering stabilizer, wat should i go with? i was thinking the kind racing stabilizer off of thuren fab..... please aknoledge me lol

Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
swirvin21
Default RE: are these any good?

Depends on what you use the truck for. If it's a street drive with little to no lift they'll work fine.A little pricey if you ask me though, $80 each is high. I have a Skyjacker 2.5" kit with dual steering stabilizers and it works great handling my 35s. Might want to look into a trackbar upgrade

This place sells some great stuff, but might be too much for you with stock tires. Check out the steering box brace, great kit and it helps even street riders alot.
www.dtprofab.com

Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 AM
wayneo360
Professional

yea im only 17 so im still getting used to the whole how much i should be spending on things so yea... my tires arnt stock but there not that big of an upgrade but there 285/75/r16's.. before the winter i will be putting 305/70/r16 A/T's so that will be a little bigger but yea i mostly drive on the street.. there arnt too many places to go off roading legaly here in the chicago area so i dont necisarily need "off road shocks".. i just want a shock that will give a a decent, better than stock ride. but not rediculously expensive.. also should i bother with getting new coils or no? yea i was also thinking of getting a new track bar as well so if i get a track bar and stabilizer will that make my steering a whole lot better? i dont think the king racing stabilizer is really nessisary so i probly wont be getting that. wat would a good stabilizer and track bar be?? any suggestions? thanks alot..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 AM
swirvin21

TheKing stabilizer will be overkill for your size tires...they're made for 35" up stuff on high speed racing or trail vehicles. I'd look into something from Rancho or Skyjacker. My Skyjacker is great, is it's a double, but a single should be fine for what you're talking about. They run maybe $100 for a kit, pretty easy to install, just make sure you set the shock evenly opened with the tires straight or it'll bind.

Without a lift, your trackbar should be fine. I like the steering box kit because it takes the load off your frame and evens it out on your forward crossmember. Just upgrade your joints and keep the OEM bar, should be fine. If you're experiencing a little wobble or wandering you might want to check the ball joints. Just lift the front end and pull on the tires outward to see if they move. Shouldn't move much if any really. Had to replace mine and it's not an easy task. With you being in Chicago you're likely to have rust on the hubs (if 4wd) and they will likely break unless you're really really careful.

Check your steering shaft for excess play by grabbing it and trying to turn it with the wheel locked. It will move some, but just look at the joints to see if they are worn. Typically your box is fine, so I wouldn't look into that unless you still have problems after fixing the cheap stuff.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Rammin99
Amateur

Bilstein is by far the best shocks available IMHO.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM
wayneo360
Professional

thanks alot...

so what model(s) should i be looking at from rancho or skyjacker? and should i be looking to match that with my shocks or are they not so good for stock trucks which is something ive heard...

Quick Reply: are these any good?