2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering starting to wander

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 AM
bigjeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering starting to wander

2001, 2500, 4x4, Cummins, Stock, 55K miles: I'm starting to notice a little wandering in the steering, especially while freeway driving. I've heard track bars go out pretty fast. Should I start there? Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated. Haven't done much on this truck except front brake pads, tiresand oil changes. Runs great, no other problems. Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: steering starting to wander

That seems too fast. I'd check tire pressure first.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
95ramdan
Professional

Ive seen track bars go out in half that.. while parked have someone steer the truck back and forth and watch the ball joint end (upper mount)of the track bar for movement. while your down there look at all the other joints (tie rods, pitman arm).

Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
swirvin21

Any rust? I've heard guys running up north run into rust on the steering trac bar and linkages and hubs. Check your ball joints while you're at it, lift the vehicle on the axle and try to pull out on the tire, shouldn't move much if any. Steering stabilizer could be worn to.

These guys sell some great steering stuff: upgraded trac bar and a killer steering box brace, all rebuildable which is nice. Good mileage for your truck...seems quick though! Did it sit still for a long time or anything?

www.dtprofab.com

Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st check tye-rod ends
2nd check ball joints, wheel barrings, tire pressure/ware
3rd try this:
ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

so the day after christmas was 'work on the truck day'. steering wheel had a lot of play in it - about 2 inches of turn. i adjusted the play out and it drives a lot better. here's how...

spray the top of the steering box with a little brake cleaner to clean the dirt off.
work on the truck from underneath. key turned on one notch to unlock the steering wheel, but truck not running. wheels on ground.
use a 16 mm wrench and a 4.5 mm hex wrench (i think, if not 4.5, then 5.0)
insert the hex wrench into the center of the adjusting screw and point it towards the front of the truck.
hold the hex wrench and loosen the locknut.
have wife, g/f. wiggle steering wheel, or else get up and down a lot.
tighten hex wrench about 1/4 turn at a time to take up the play. i turned mine about 3/4 turn to take up 2 inches of play in the wheel.
hold hex wrench and tighten locknut.
you're done, take it for a test drive.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 AM
bigjeb

thanks for all the hints. I'll get under it tonight and take a look. Truck lived in very rainy climate first 3 years but has been in dry area since 04. It's never sat for long periods of time. I'll let you know what I find out after visual.

Quick Reply: steering starting to wander