2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help! Front end 1500 4WD-tie rods, etc....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:13 PM
spur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Front end 1500 4WD-tie rods, etc....

I am pulling my hair out trying to find a place to order parts for my 2001 RAM 1500 4WD to replace the front end parts.... the tie rods (the stupidest thing I have ever seen) are made so you have to replace the whole tie rod.... a friend told me I will need that long sway bar thing too????? I dont care at this point can someone please post a picture of the front end so I know what parts I need and a reference of where to buy them.... thank you very much in advance.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Please help! Front end 1500 4WD-tie rods, etc....

Our trucks have an inverted Y steering setup. The Draglink goes from the pitman arm to the pass. knuckle, and then in the middle is the tie rod that goes from the draglink to the drivers side knuckle.

I agree it is realy stupid. Any parts store can get you a replacement tie rod and drag link.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
spur

OK... I re-posted this and just found this info.... what exactly do I need to buy to do it right.... I need an inner and an outer and the track bar thing? Do I need an adjuster sleeve and anything to do with the pitman arm? I can put it in but I want to crawl under there once and then i can take it to be aligned.... thanks again.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 PM
spur

Is there any schematics of the parts and numbers I need somewhere on-line?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Jeep is set-up the same way, I don't think it's all that bad...

Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

Inverted "y" steering sucks, plain and simple. It's a crappy design that has inherant problems that are covered up by a factory steering stabalizer. It sucks in Jeeps too, thats why most who 4-wheel their Jeeps eventaully change out to some sort of crossover steering.

That said, and please don't take offense, but if you don't know the names of the componenets (track bar thing, and sway bar thing?), then you probably don't know what they do, or what they look like or have any idea what to do to replace them. I would recommend that you have a qualified shop replace the items you need because you will also need an alignment after replacing tie rods

Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 AM
spur

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

I would recommend that you have a qualified shop replace the items you need because you will also need an alignment after replacing tie rods
I mentioned in post number two that I would have to have it aligined I merely needed the information on which parts to obtain which I thought I could get from this website. Is there a website I can refer to that can help me if this one is unable to assist? I can replace the parts I can even get it adjusted close enough to get to the shop to have it aligned.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Spur, Download the 2001 service manual on this forum site somewhere. Replacing the parts is easy, you just need hand tools (pickle fork or gear pullers will help), penetrating oil, and common sense.
I did all of my tie rods and adjusting sleeves because the were rusted together and a weeks worth of oil and heat didn't break them apart. You can replace just the tie rod that is bad, visual grease around the join or a joint is very loose. You don't need to replace the track bar unless you suspect it is bad. Then just have the front end aligned, any shop can do this.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here bud look at this thread https://dodgeforum.com/m_877646/tm.htm its got everything you need to know about your tye rod ends with some links for parts too

Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
spur

Thanks very much for the responses... where would I find the service manual to download on this site for a 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 4WD 5.2 manual.

Quick Reply: Please help! Front end 1500 4WD-tie rods, etc....