2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major Decision, Please help, Auto to 5 Speed...feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007 | 02:32 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Decision, Please help, Auto to 5 Speed...feasible?

can you take the cross member out of the doner and replace it?

Old 07-24-2007 | 02:46 AM
cobradriver
|
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the cross-member out of donor and continued with the install.

Pilot bearing with the numbers/letters facing you when installed on the engine, lifted the tranny up onto the jack and put her into place. Pain in the *** are the 2 top bolts, extensions with a swivel take care of that, "Impekker shaft" still a drive-shaft to me up front then to the rear.

Rigged up the clutch rod/cable/line/set-up, bolt the shifter to the tower, place the boot over the whole thing, pro-seal then sheetmetal screws and looks like a champ.

I guess the biggest deal of this whole thing is the pedal bracket. For clearance during removal you gots to just keep tearing it down. Instrument cluster to see the whole thing easier, wires/cables/connectors off steering column. 4 nuts to the forward part of the bracket removed then to make it easier, with vice grips remove the top 2 studs that go from the pedal bracket into the dash (avoids having to lift the pedal bracket to get it off, allows you to just slide it back instead). Remove the brake rod to the pedal then under the hood remove the brake lines and pull the whole brake unit out of the way, clears the brake rod from it's hole in the pedal bracket, carefully pull back on the steering wheel, (in case you still have some wires connected or to get clearance with a few attached) the pedal bracket will now come off easily if you tease it to the right side and down.

To install the 3 pedal bracket I took a clip off the passenger side of the bracket that holds a main shaft for the pedals, removed all the pedals, installed just the bracket into place then the 3 pedals on it's shaft, inserted the exposed clip on the right side of the shaft and start putting the rest of the stuff back on in reverse order.

without the pedal "pain" this can be done in a day, the pedal bracket cost me another.

Donor was a 96 1/2 ton for clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, 3500 transmission with hydraulic lines, drive-shaft, rear crossmember with standard mount, instrument cluster. Cost $350 /parts throw-out bearing and front bushing $50 and 5 bucks for jigsaw blades Total $405 and a couple six packs of Moosehead

I'll look at getting that PCM, whats it look like and where is it?

CD

Old 07-24-2007 | 06:35 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, for 500 bucks I'd definetly turn my truck into a 5 speed. Too bad I lack the mechanical ability

Old 07-24-2007 | 10:46 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

pcm is located on the pass firewall under the hood itll have 3 big plugs on it and is a rectangle shape

Old 07-24-2007 | 11:02 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cobradriver

Took the cross-member out of donor and continued with the install.

Pilot bearing with the numbers/letters facing you when installed on the engine, lifted the tranny up onto the jack and put her into place. Pain in the *** are the 2 top bolts, extensions with a swivel take care of that, "Impekker shaft" still a drive-shaft to me up front then to the rear.

Rigged up the clutch rod/cable/line/set-up, bolt the shifter to the tower, place the boot over the whole thing, pro-seal then sheetmetal screws and looks like a champ.

I guess the biggest deal of this whole thing is the pedal bracket. For clearance during removal you gots to just keep tearing it down. Instrument cluster to see the whole thing easier, wires/cables/connectors off steering column. 4 nuts to the forward part of the bracket removed then to make it easier, with vice grips remove the top 2 studs that go from the pedal bracket into the dash (avoids having to lift the pedal bracket to get it off, allows you to just slide it back instead). Remove the brake rod to the pedal then under the hood remove the brake lines and pull the whole brake unit out of the way, clears the brake rod from it's hole in the pedal bracket, carefully pull back on the steering wheel, (in case you still have some wires connected or to get clearance with a few attached) the pedal bracket will now come off easily if you tease it to the right side and down.

To install the 3 pedal bracket I took a clip off the passenger side of the bracket that holds a main shaft for the pedals, removed all the pedals, installed just the bracket into place then the 3 pedals on it's shaft, inserted the exposed clip on the right side of the shaft and start putting the rest of the stuff back on in reverse order.

without the pedal "pain" this can be done in a day, the pedal bracket cost me another.

Donor was a 96 1/2 ton for clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, 3500 transmission with hydraulic lines, drive-shaft, rear crossmember with standard mount, instrument cluster. Cost $350 /parts throw-out bearing and front bushing $50 and 5 bucks for jigsaw blades Total $405 and a couple six packs of Moosehead

I'll look at getting that PCM, whats it look like and where is it?

CD
You exemplify the problem with America today. On 7/19 you wrote:
I'm sick of this 46RE so I found a complete set-up for a 5 speed.

Is this do-able, I have a 98 1500 with a 318 and it's from a '96 1500 with a 318.

Pedals, crossmember, driveshaft, all the stuff except pilot bushing.

So what da ya think? And what else would I need to do/purchase?

Thanx for any and all help

CD
Now you have taken care of that problem. There are very fewpeople out there with the gumption (not to mention the ability) to do this in such a short period of time (5 days). The problem with America today is that too many fat f90cking kids lie around their asses wishing they had stuff that they don't have, waiting around for a kit or something. I'm trying to trainmy son to circumvent such bull****.You Got It Done. I salute you.

Old 08-01-2007 | 08:39 PM
cobradriver
|
Amateur

Thank You, Sir.

Cobra Driver

Old 08-01-2007 | 09:07 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mopowar
Now you have taken care of that problem. There are very fewpeople out there with the gumption (not to mention the ability) to do this in such a short period of time (5 days). The problem with America today is that too many fat f90cking kids lie around their asses wishing they had stuff that they don't have, waiting around for a kit or something. I'm trying to trainmy son to circumvent such bull****.You Got It Done. I salute you.
I agree with this 100%, but in my own defense I am not fat, my dad is a not a mechanic, and I have to go to work 30 miles away lol.It isn't really an option for me to tear apart my vehicle with the chance that it will not be up and running by work time, and it's been close before, but I don't mind skipping out on the little things like sleeping and eating.But that is the wonderful thing about this site and about the internet in general.

And cobradriver, congratulations on getting everything up and going. How about some pictures if you have the time? That was a hell of a job.

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:46 PM
Z88Z

Congrats CD. Great job and good info!

Now if only more of it applied to the swap I'm planning! I just posted a whole bunch of auto to 5 speed PCM swap questions, then looked down and saw your post.

I'm planning a "cousin" swap. Ram NV 5spd into 98 5.9 ZJ Jeep. Not much info out there. I've got most of it solved except the PCM/VIN swap/flash deal but I don't want to spend a dime on the project til I have that issue resolved.

So far I've only heard of three V8 ZJ 5speed swaps and only one of those was an OBDII Jeep (an SC'd 5.9!)
I'm sure there are more ZJ 5spd swaps out there that aren't on forums.

BTW - My 46RE converted itselffrom a 3speed to a 2 speed! Second gear clutch band anchor fell out. I pulled it off the top of my valve body when I was in there trying to figure out why the Jeep wouldn't hold or start in the park position. (The dropped anchor was in the way and prevented it from traveling all the way into park)
Now I have first and third only.I don't hammer it anymore, ease off at the shift points and it doesn't actually make that much of a difference in drivability.
My gas mileage is way better now too. That's only cuz I'm scaredto drive it hard anymore. Don't want to see what happens when it tries to kick down into a gear that isn't there. LOL

So, do you have a CEL now that the PCM can't find it's auto trans inputs or did you swap PCMs.

Happy driving to you - John

Old 08-02-2007 | 01:44 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah hows everything going with it, any CEL driving good? any before/after pics?

Quick Reply: Major Decision, Please help, Auto to 5 Speed...feasible?